Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:06 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:14 pm 
New UberStudent User

I've tried several approaches to setting one of my photos as the wallpaper/desktop backdrop, but to no avail. For example, from within Ristretto, gThumb, and Shotwell, I selected the option to set a particular photo as the desktop background. I've also tried copying photos into the /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/ folder, but wasn't able to do so. What am I overlooking? I imagine that it is something very simple....

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:51 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

It's working as expected for me.

1. Download your desired wallpaper and place it somewhere, such as in a submenu you create in your home directories Pictures folder.
2. Right-click over the image and choose "Set as Wallpaper." It should just work.
3. Later, if you go to Settings menu > Desktop > Folder - you can then select again /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/ where all the default desktop wallpapers reside and choose again one of the default wallpapers.
4. Alternately, download your wallpaper, hit F12 on your keyboard, and type in gksu thunar /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/ and input your password and then drag and drop your wallpaper in to that folder; then, select it from Settings menu > Desktop.

Does that work for you?

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:36 am 
New UberStudent User

No, Stephen, it doesn't. I've repeatedly tried your suggestions 1. and 2., but to no avail. I have no trouble switching among the various default and extra UberStudent wallpapers that I previously downloaded via suggestion 3. Suggestion 4. was interesting as I was able to drag several of my photos into the backdrops folder, but now when I try to select one of them from the Settings menu, I don't find any of the jpgs that I dragged into the folder. What I do find are blank white spaces in the Settings > Desktop > Background folder where my added files should be alphabetically.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:12 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Are you using UberStudent 4.0?

Like I said, it works as expected for me. Here's a screenshot.
Attachment:
qw.png
qw.png [ 229.86 KiB | Viewed 9276 times ]

1. I hit Alt+F2 on my keyboard and ran gksu thunar /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/ to open that location as root.
2. I dragged the light blue and green wallpaper (Beautiful-Wallpapers -7.jpg) from my desktop in to /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/ and droped it there
3. I went to Settings > Desktop and the new wallpaper appeared immediately as an option.

Otherwise, please send me a sample wallpaper you are tying to use. stephen.ewen@gmail.com.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:25 am 
New UberStudent User

Stephen, I am using 4.0 and followed your most recent instructions--again to no avail. However, your request to send you a file illuminated the problem because my email defaults require that I substantially reduce the size of my original photo files before sending them. So I used the Simple Image Reducer and then I was able to select it as wallpaper from Settings > Desktop. The other larger files are still in the backdrops folder, but they don't show up under Settings > Desktop. So what's the upper limit on file size for usable backdrop files? Simple Image Reducer degraded the quality more than I would've like--even at the largest file size option. Thanks!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!