Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:45 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post subject: USB Boot for Install
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:49 am 
I've tried several times to burn the image to two different USB disks for the Mate only version (2.0.4.2) and it doesn't seem to want to boot.

Will I need to use something like UNetbootin? Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong... I don't have a CD/DVD writer attached to this machine at present, but is that the best way to boot and install?

-Carl

Post subject: Re: USB Boot for Install
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:45 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Simply copying the ISO on to a USB drive won't work, because it copies over as data and not an image. unetbootin is a very fine option for placing the ISO on to a USB drive so it is bootable. I use it routinely, myself.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:21 am 
I actually used the USB Image Writer in Mint as well as two different image writers in Windows (I think one might have been Free ISO Burner). None of these gave me a bootable USB that would work one either a desktop PC or a laptop.

I'll give UNetBootin a try in a day or so.. if that doesn't work, perhaps I'll drop a few dollars on a new CD/DVD burner... I recently installed a new motherboard and it only wants SATA so the old one is destined for the bin :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:23 am 

Yea, using a burner as you described won't work, for the reason I stated above--it just copies the ISO over as data, meaning it's just like any other file you might place into a USB drive.

When you install unetbootin, you might find it interesting to do so from the command line so you can see everything else that gets installed along with it. Do that from a terminal with

Code:
sudo apt-get install unetbootin

Note especially these dependencies that get installed: extlinux syslinux syslinux-common

unetbooting uses the ISO to create in the USB drive a bootable system.

BTW, yesterday, I bought this CD/DVD reader/burner on special at NewEgg...for $20. :o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:50 pm 
Good news, I was able to create a bootable USB by using the Gnome Classic from Mint, then selecting the USB Boot Drive creator in the system utilities. It worked very well, although I did get a few error prompts during the install process that read:

The folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "tmp.7zp2LHOXzx"

I got a total of five of these little pops, each with similarly named tmp. files.

Even still, the install seems to be working fine. However, I was unable to put the root file system on my solid state drive with the /home mounting on the terabyte drive as I had configured with Mint. When I tried, the install didn't seem to have any of the applications, though my previous /home partition was still available. A reinstall of everything to the solid state drive fixed this. If anyone has a script to move the /home folder to another drive, I'd be most appreciative. The last time I did this was a few years ago and I only remember it was a fairly detailed process. Guess I'll have to dig out my old notes :)

Anyway, I like the distro so far! I'll probably install it on my 11 year-old's netbook...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:50 pm 

Those tmp glitches are harmless.

Back in the day, I never had good experiences sharing /home between installations, and so have not even tried in many years, and thus don't have any experience from which to address the matter. :| Maybe I should give it a new try. :)

Your 11-year-old, and her netbook, might better like the Lightweight Edition.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!