Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:38 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:04 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hello
I was actually contemplating writing a bad review for the distro, but I guess it would be more constructive to first show what are the problems I encounter using it and let the developper(s) deal with them. I also had a problem with the installation, and Stephen Ewen was very prompt in solving it. This attitude towards the users is the one which makes me continue using a distro.
So, these are the bugs and other problems which make UberStudent hard to use>
1. My network applet is unusable.
2. I cannot set a romanian keyboard. The applet for keyboard settings is not working and I also cannot choose a romanian keyboard from the system settings. Updating the system gives me translation errors.
3. The "indicator-brightness", which I found in the UberStudent repositories, is not working. I've installed it, but I cannot find it. I guess it's an applet - but there is no brightness applet in the panel menu.
4. The applications menu is hard to use. It's too crammed with applications grouped in sub-menus. E.g. If I want to open Firefox, I have to click Applications, then Internet, then Browsers, then Firefox. So, it should be easy to make icons to desktop. I don't know how to make them and it's not ok.
5. There should be more instructions for the educational applications. (This is not critical for everyday use of the distro, but if the devs want to make UberStudent really useful, they should make these instructions available.)
I have some ideas about making UberStudent more user-friendly and useful for people who study, but they are like cream on the cake - let's first try to make US usable.
IMHO, Stephen Ewen doesn't use UberStudent on a daily basis. This is my sad conclusion. How can somebody use US daily and not see such awful flaws?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:14 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Often, a supposed "bug" is nothing more than an issue of a user not knowing how to do something, as you'll find is the case with most if not all of your issues.

Still, in the future, if you think you've found a bug, kindly use this format.

Minimal Bug Report Format
1. The expected behavior of the program
2. The actual behavior of the program
3. Instructions that explain to someone how they can reproduce the issue

A bug that cannot be reproduced cannot be fixed.

Liviu Dascalu wrote:
1. My network applet is unusable.

Mine is working perfectly for both wired and wireless.
Attachment:
Screenshot_2016-02-16_23-37-45.png
Screenshot_2016-02-16_23-37-45.png [ 28.05 KiB | Viewed 7427 times ]

Please be assured that I have not been using UberStudent all along with a broken network indicator that I've been simply too lazy to fix. The actual question is this: Why is your particular network indicator not working, if it actually is not, as you expect it should?

It may be that you inadvertently removed the Indicator Plugin from your panel, as this person recently did. The solution, described there, is simple: Add it back.

It may be because you need to install the driver from your network card's manufacturer. To do that, go to Applications menu > System > Software > Driver Manager and install anything "recommended," if shown.

If the above are not the issue, please describe the issue as far as you can using the above Minimal Bug Report Format.

Liviu Dascalu wrote:
3. The "indicator-brightness", which I found in the UberStudent repositories, is not working. I've installed it, but I cannot find it. I guess it's an applet - but there is no brightness applet in the panel menu.

indicator-brightness installs in to your menu and displays in your panel when you run it, as shown below.
Attachment:
brightness-indicator.png
brightness-indicator.png [ 80.88 KiB | Viewed 7427 times ]

TIP: You can use the Application Finder, the first entry in your menu, whenever you want to very quickly find a program just by typing a few letters:
Attachment:
af2.png
af2.png [ 122.55 KiB | Viewed 7427 times ]

indicator-brightness may or may not work for you. I added it a good while ago to the uberstudent.net repository only to help a user troubleshoot her oddball hardware, not because I endorsed it for all purposes on all machines. I left it in the repository in case I ever needed to use it to troubleshoot oddball hardware again. What you should use to toggle your laptop screen brightness is the Power Manager Plugin, which is pre-installed in UberStudent. You can simply add it to your panel:
Attachment:
Screenshot_2016-02-16_23-26-04.png
Screenshot_2016-02-16_23-26-04.png [ 77.08 KiB | Viewed 7427 times ]

Liviu Dascalu wrote:
If I want to open Firefox, I have to click Applications, then Internet, then Browsers, then Firefox. So, it should be easy to make icons to desktop. I don't know how to make them and it's not ok.

The ridiculously simple way to make a launcher on your desktop is to simply drag an item from your menu and drop it on to your desktop, as shown [WATCH VIDEO]:

phpBB [video]

NOTE: You can also simply drag and drop an icon from your menu directly on to your panel to create a launcher there.

Alternately, simply right-click on your Desktop, choose Create Launcher, and in the dialog start typing the name of the program. If the program is installed, it will appear before you finish typing. Select the item and the required info is automatically inputed. Then, click Create and you're done. Those steps are shown here:
Attachment:
ff.png
ff.png [ 162.77 KiB | Viewed 7427 times ]

Liviu Dascalu wrote:
4. The applications menu is hard to use. It's too crammed with applications grouped in sub-menus.

UberStudent's use of sub-menus is a feature, not a bug. It is a deliberate and well thought out design decision that is highly unlikely to ever change. It takes thousands of lines of code to implement. The menus of a non-barebones system, like UberStudent, become a complete piled on dumping ground when everything is just heaped into its main category. As well, UberStudent is made to be friendly to new Linux users. Placing programs within a sub-category of what the program actually does, and not just assuming that someone knows what Anki or Ardesia or Catfish or Freeplane or Sozi or Zotero does (any clues based on the name??), makes everything easily legible. Categories and sub-categories and sub-categories within sub-categories is exactly how the brain works, so the brain naturally maps to the menus with great ease.

Think of UberStudent menus like your clothes drawers. People naturally tend to organize their external things with how their brain internally works. They don't normally just dump all of their laundered clothes into a box and then dig through the box when they dress. Nor do they dump all of their dress socks and athletic socks, various everyday and work-related and recreational undergarments, differing handkerchiefs, and other related items all into one drawer. They fold and match the varied laundered items, separate them according to their types, and have a place for each type within a category and sub-category of items within a particular drawer. For their hat, they may leave it on their, well, right on their desktop for super-quick access. I trust you follow the analogy.

In sum, by specific and studied choice, UberStudent weds how the brain organizes information to it's interface design, including its menu arrangement, and it will continue to do so.

Liviu Dascalu wrote:
3. Updating the system gives me translation errors.

You must be meaning this:
Code:
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com trusty/main Translation-en_US 
Ign http://extras.ubuntu.com trusty/main Translation-en_US                     
Ign http://download.videolan.org  Translation-en_US
Ign http://uberstudent.net socrates/non-free Translation-en

This is normal behavior on a Debian/Ubuntu based system if a repository it has does not have package translations--these are not user interface or program translations but Debian package translations giving the "errors" (Ign for "ignore"). This is an entirely trivial "error" and can be ignored. In fact, because you do not need them on your system, you can disable apt from even checking for package translations, so as to speed up updates. Run this line in a terminal:
Code:
echo 'Acquire::Languages "none";' | sudo tee /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/100translations

Liviu Dascalu wrote:
I cannot set a romanian keyboard. The applet for keyboard settings is not working and I also cannot choose a romanian keyboard from the system settings.

I just now created an installation of UberStudent with U.S. English, French, and Romanian languages installed, added the keyboards for each in Settings > Hardware > Keyboard > Layout, added the keyboard switcher to the panel, and then used a keyboard emulator to use and switch between them. Everything worked fine, no issues whatsoever. Watch:

phpBB [video]

So you're going to have to explain your issue to me, if there really is one. Start by going to Settings menu on your panel > Hardware > Keyboard > Layout and describing your settings to me.

Liviu Dascalu wrote:
5. There should be more instructions for the educational applications. (This is not critical for everyday use of the distro, but if the devs want to make UberStudent really useful, they should make these instructions available.) I have some ideas about making UberStudent more user-friendly and useful for people who study, but they are like cream on the cake - let's first try to make US usable. IMHO, Stephen Ewen doesn't use UberStudent on a daily basis. This is my sad conclusion. How can somebody use US daily and not see such awful flaws?

Did you miss the UberStudent Wiki? It opens the first time you run any browser in UberStudent and a shortcut to it gets put to it on your desktop when you install UberStudent. I'm writing things there as I have the time. I want more there. I'm very happy to make an account there for people who'd like to help. Just ask.

I use UberStudent very near almost exclusively on a daily basis. In my view, most if not all of your issues are nothing more than an issue of a user not knowing how to do something, as I've detailed above. We're here to help, but in the future, it would be helpful and much appreciated if you would be quicker to ask questions--"Are These Bugs?"--and slower to make impugning charges.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Post subject: Re: Application Icons
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:19 pm 
UberStudent Staff

Liviu Dascalu wrote:
The applications menu is hard to use. It's too crammed with applications grouped in sub-menus. E.g. If I want to open Firefox, I have to click Applications, then Internet, then Browsers, then Firefox. So, it should be easy to make icons to desktop. I don't know how to make them and it's not ok.

The grouping into categorized sub-menus makes finding an application for the first time a more intuitive process [for young students, etc.], and is very much part of what drew me to UberStudent in the first place. For any application that I use with frequency I add it to either my top panel or my desktop, which can be done with a simple drag-and-drop from the Applications menu.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:27 am 
New UberStudent User

Stephen Ewen: Thank you for the reply.

1. About the network applet. I didn't know how to find it - most probably, I deleted it by mistake. The "network monitor" applet doesn't give the option to select and log into a network. I booted again in my UberStudent usb live and I figured out that it has something to do with an applet named "indicator". So, I added it in my installed OS and a bunch of new applets appeared in my panel - "active network connections" included.
Maybe it would be a good idea to make "active network connection" a separate entry in the applet list (or "elements for the panel" list).

2. Setting the brightness. I also removed by mistake the Power Manager plugin. All I had to do is to add it again to the panel.

3. The two ways of making a launcher for the programs work, of course. But if you want a more user-friendly interface, it would be better to have an option to add a launcher to the desktop by simply right-clicking on the icon in the applications menu. I've seen this option in many other Xfce distros.

4. Now the romanian keyboard works. Great!

5. Yes, I didn't know that there is a UberStudent Wiki. I'd like to see files with documentation beside the application launchers, in the menu. Or a separate wiki section.
In the conclusion, the only real problem was that the romanian keyboard was missing. Now I feed that it's worth keeping the distro along with my other Linux systems and explore its plethora of applications.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:57 pm 

Thanks for the reply, Liviu.
Liviu Dascalu wrote:
It would be better to have an option to add a launcher to the desktop by simply right-clicking on the icon in the applications menu. I've seen this option in many other Xfce distros.
Xfce distributions that have this feature--that enable one to simply right-click on the icon in the applications menu to create a desktop shortcut--use the Xfce Whisker Menu by default.
Attachment:
Screenshot_2016-02-21_07-34-17.png
Screenshot_2016-02-21_07-34-17.png [ 108.92 KiB | Viewed 7354 times ]
That menu is installed by default in UberStudent but it is not its default menu. The normal Xfce Applications Menu is. To use Whisker Menu in UberStudent, there are two simple options:

1. From Setting menu > Look and Feel > Panel Changer, click One-Panel. Your system will log out and log back in and set a one-panel default style that uses Whisker menu. NOTE: This option will wipe any panel customization you have made since installing UberStudent.
2. Manually add Whisker Menu to the top panel and remove Applications Menus from it, replacing the latter with the former. You should choose this option if you have in any way customized your panel and wish to retain those customizations.

I agree that simply right-clicking on an icon in the normal Xfce Applications menu to create a desktop shortcut would be a useful feature. I'll file a feature request with the Xfce developers over the matter. I suspect, however, that they'll be reluctant to go for it, because they have already added the drag-and-drop support I illustrated to you above and they want to keep Xfce light and fast. But we'll see....
Liviu Dascalu wrote:
Maybe it would be a good idea to make "active network connection" a separate entry in the applet list (or "elements for the panel" list).
Perhaps, but I can't really do that without creating a lot of big problems to solve a small one. All Xfce-based distros include the network applet in the indicator applet, so it probably makes the best sense to just stick with that default behavior for at this time. Regardless, since you now know where the network applet is located, I'm trusting you won't have issues with it displaying any longer.
Liviu Dascalu wrote:
I didn't know that there is a UberStudent Wiki.
If you think you might be able to write articles that will help educate UberStudent users, do let me know and I'll create an account for you at the wiki. I'll collaborate with you on them, so please don't think you'll be all on your own if you want to try doing this. I'd much appreciate help from academicians, such as yourself--or anyone else competent, for that matter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:36 pm 
Established UberStudent User

Sometimes if there is an issue with the network manager or the applet, opening the terminal and running "nm-applet" or "sudo service network-manager restart" can solve the problem. There is also the application finder, which shows some tools after typing "network" (btw the finder also can be started via "xfce4-appfinder". It's like a software-treasure-box). UberStudent is very well usable on a daily basis according to my experience. And the support from Ewen in the forum is world class. The longer someone uses this distro and reads about the available tools and linux in general, the easier it will be to use it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:26 pm 

Interestingly I just had the disappearing network icon issue because of a power off without shutdown due to battery shortage. After trying nm-applet and restarting the network-manager - which did not bring back the icon - I removed the Indicator Plugin (right click on the plugin and "remove" in the menu - one has to be careful checking "Indicator Plugin" at the top of the menu in order to avoid removing the panel or a launcher). After adding it again (right click on the panel, "panel" submenu, "Add New Items" and choosing "Indicator Plugin" on the list) the icon came back. Changing the Indicator Plugin icons via right click, properties, and checking the "Hidden" box, takes place after a log out and log in.
I forgat to mention in the previous post that the Application Finder also can be opened via the "super+r" shortcut. It's good to know about some clever shortcuts, which can be simply found by searching for "shortcuts" in the application finder.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:34 pm 

How do things appear between the default panel and your user-made custom panel setting? What is the difference?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:21 pm 

Stephen Ewen wrote:
How do things appear between the default panel and your user-made custom panel setting? What is the difference?

I have a very different panel to the default settings as I changed almost everything according to the specifics of my computer. E.g. I have two vertical panels and on the indicator plugin I have only sound, battery, screenshot toggler and network-manager. I just removed what I did not use, e.g. X-tile or I use via shortcut, e.g. Artha. Btw there is a minor bug: If the indicator plugin is in the vertical panel with a keyboard icon, somehow the picture is missing (icon is still there and working). I used to put Guake on the panel as well, but now I just use the keyboard to launch it.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!