Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:25 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post subject: Installer crashed
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:36 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

My Dell Inspiron laptop crashed while I was running UberStudent. I believe I was browsing through the file system when this happened. After it crashed, it would not reboot. I got messages stating:

Code:
Checking for media [Fail]
and
Code:
Not boot device found

So I am now trying to re-install from a USB, and I got this error after hitting the green plus button..

Code:
lnstaller crashed

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-partman.py", line 1277, in on_partition_list_new_activate
        self.partman_dialog(devpart, partition)
    File "usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/plugin.py", line 48, in wrapper
        return target(self, *args, **kwargs)
    File "usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-partman.py", line 949, in partman_dialog
        if create and partition['parted']['type'] == 'pri/log':
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not scriptable

Any suggestions?

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!
 Post subject: Re: Installer crashed
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:15 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

What else is on the drive? How is it partitioned?

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:47 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

after researching this further and running some tests, I decided to take a look inside my laptop because my hard drive did not appear to be connected at all. I tried reseating it to no avail. So I ran to Staples and bought a new hard drive. My computer was able to detect the new hard drive. So I guess the old one is toast.

I am still concerned, however. When I started getting the errors I posted above, I was browsing my file system when my computer crashed. This had happened previously on multiple occasions. In fact, it happened so often that I started to avoid attempting to browse my file system at all costs, due to the 95% likelihood that my computer would freeze up. When this would happen, there was nothing I could do but to hold the power button and shut down, then restart. UberStudent was completely unresponsive. I couldn't even pull up Guake with F12.

After doing a successful installation of UberStudent on my new hard drive, everything has been running very smoothly until today. I was browsing the file system and everything froze up. I let my lap top sit untouched for over 30 minutes and nothing ever happened. So sadly I had to hold down the power button again :(

Is there anything I can do to start trouble shooting this issue?

I was wondering if it could be due to a lack of sufficient RAM. I only have 4 GB which came with my Dell Inspiron 3521.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Freeze Up
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:41 am 
UberStudent Staff

Andrew A wrote:
I was browsing the file system and everything froze up. I let my lap top sit untouched for over 30 minutes and nothing ever happened. So sadly I had to hold down the power button again :(

Can you tell us precisely what you mean when you say "browsing the file system"?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:13 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Yes. I mean browsing my file system in the Thunar GUI

Attachments:
file_system.png
file_system.png [ 98.08 KiB | Viewed 16983 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:23 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Awesome website, by the way. I am fascinated by labyrinths, particularly the Cretan and the Chartres. There is a great documentary called Reflections about the Chartres Cathedral and the geometry, math, and symbolism behind its creation, featuring architect and expert on "Sacred Geometry" Keith Critchlow. It's a field I greatly desire to pursue in depth study in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:23 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

I'm starting to wonder if the computer is actually crashing, or if the usb mouse, touchpad, and keyboard are somehow becoming unresponsive. I haven't noticed whether or not my computer seems to continue running while this happens. So far my experience has just been that nothing is responsive so I shut down.

I'm also wondering if there could be a correlation to when I have a usb mouse plugged in or when I am charging my battery. My touchpad doesn't work when I am charging the battery, so I have to use a usb mouse. These aren't things I've payed attention to in the past, but perhaps there is a connection. I say this because my computer froze up just now, as described above when I was in Thunar, and I thought that it happened right when I accidentally slightly nudged where my mouse was plugged into the usb port.

Post subject: Re: Labyrinths
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:40 am 
UberStudent Staff

Andrew A wrote:
I am fascinated by labyrinths, particularly the Cretan and the Chartres.

There is a fantasy author who was fascinated by the Chartres labyrinth, which was his inspiration for the Pattern geoglyph in his Chronicles of Amber series.

Andrew A wrote:
There is a great documentary called Reflections about the Chartres Cathedral and the geometry, math, and symbolism behind its creation, featuring architect and expert on "Sacred Geometry" Keith Critchlow.

The description of Reflection, with its discussion of relating to the natural world, is intriguing. I may try to acquire a copy of that.

Post subject: Re: Computer Freezing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:51 am 
UberStudent Staff

Andrew A wrote:
...my computer froze up just now, as described above when I was in Thunar, and I thought that it happened right when I accidentally slightly nudged where my mouse was plugged into the usb port.

If your mouse alone is becoming unresponsive, you could test this by using a keyboard shortcut such as Alt+Tab to bring up the window selector.

Post subject: Re: Labyrinths
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:59 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Damion Lunin wrote:
Andrew A wrote:
I am fascinated by labyrinths, particularly the Cretan and the Chartres.

There is a fantasy author who was fascinated by the Chartres labyrinth, which was his inspiration for the Pattern geoglyph in his Chronicles of Amber series.

Andrew A wrote:
There is a great documentary called Reflections about the Chartres Cathedral and the geometry, math, and symbolism behind its creation, featuring architect and expert on "Sacred Geometry" Keith Critchlow.

The description of Reflection, with its discussion of relating to the natural world, is intriguing. I may try to acquire a copy of that.

I will definitely have to look into The Chronicles of Amber - sounds right up my alley!

and Reflections is up free on youtube, although the last time I watched it, it was an abridged version which was nowhere near as good as the unabridged. I'm not sure if this is abridged or not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5_SPm7zQns

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!