Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:28 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:40 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

I did a fresh install of UberStudent 64-bit and Grub did not install correctly so the system did not boot. I had deleted all partitions from an existing UberStudent 3.0 install using a gparted disc. I then created three partitions. First partition is a 36 GB fat 32 partition with the boot flag for storage. The second partition is a 8 GB linux-swap partition. The third partition is a 30 GB extension 4 partition for UberStudent. I then closed gparted. I restarted the computer with Live UberStudent and proceeded to install UberStudent. I finished the install but the system would not boot. I started the computer with Live Uberstudent and used the Reinstall Grub feature. Grub failed to install correctly. After several failed attempts I started the computer with Super Grub2 and booted the system. I rebooted the computer after removing Super Grub2 but the system did not boot. I restarted the system with Super Grub2 and after running all updates I used the repair grub from the new running US install. Grub installed successfully. System boots fine. I would like to be able to edit the grub menu to make it identical to a normal US install. It now shows *Unbuntu. I know this is not a big deal but it is for another individual who was used to seeing the UberStudent grub menu. I also need to know if I should delete the 36 GB fat 32 partition and then in it's place make an ext 3 or ext 4 partition. This partition is to be used for storing files so when a operating system reinstall occurs all your files are on a separate partition. In the past having a separate /home has been destroyed when a really major upgrade was performed using other linux installs. I have googled and read edit grub 2 articles but do not know how to save the file or how to place the file in the /etc/grub.d folder. That folder is also missing two files from a normal UberStudent 64-bit install that I have on a separate machine. Thanks in advance for any advice. James Zerr

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:01 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Install again but select the "Do something else" option in the installer and install in to the ext4 partition.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:15 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

The two missing shell scrips are: 06_uberstudent_theme , 20_memtest+86+ They are located in: /etc/grub.d/folder I see you can copy 40_custom and rename it. Can I type exactly what is in 06_uberstudent_theme from the computer containing it into a copy of 40_custom which has been renamed 06_uberstudent and do the same for 20_memtest+86+ ? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this issue. James Zerr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:29 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

I think it's pointless in this case to navigate around in /etc/grub.d. Doing as explained in my prior post should result in an installed system.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:29 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

System is a working functioning operating system. Reinstalled Grub once again and now at boot menu there is no longer *Ubuntu as the only choice. Now boot menu correctly shows UberStudent 4.1 Xfce 64-bit, 3.13.0-37-generic (/dev/sda3) and *UberStudent 4.1.Xfce 64-bit, 3.13.0-37-generic (/dev/sda3) -- recovery mode . The grub 2 boot menu is solved.

I deleted the fat 32 partition (sda1) and in it's place created a ext4 partition (sda1). I was unable to copy and paste anything into that partition though UberStudent mounts that partition and opens that partition. I deleted the ext 4 partition (sda1) and once again created a fat 32 partition (sda1) which mounts and allows files to be copied from the US system. The hope is that files placed in fat 32 partition (sda1) can be copied into the UberStudent OS after major upgrades where there is a reinstall and be useable. I do realize that should the hard drive crash no files will be available from any partition on the hard drive.

I apologize for bothering you with my incoherent post. Problems are solved. I do appreciate your speedy replies. Thank you for your time. James Zerr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:48 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

I found this tutorial on how to set write permission on ext 4 partition in Ubuntu linux: http://itsfoss.com/set-write-permission ... ntu-linux/ . I have not had time to try this yet. James Zerr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:32 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

I once again deleted the 36 GB fat 32 partition sda1. I replaced it with a 36 GB ext 4 partition sda1. I followed the tutorial: http://itsfoss.com/set-write-permission ... ntu-linux/ . I was successful with the tutorial "How to set write permission on ext4 partition in Ubuntu" but I did have to make one change when using UberStudent. Step 2 I found the code: ll /media/<username> did not work for me. I used code: ls -l /media/<username> to show the write permissions . Please note that the code is a small L followed by s , then space -small L ,then space, /media/<username> . I also noticed that in my case with UberStudent the 36 GB ext 4 partition sda1 is mounted /media/<username/UUID . Once I finished with the two code inputs in step 3 then once again I used code: ls -l /media/<username> to compare the original output with the output after the permission changes. I am now able to write to my 36 GB ext 4 partition sda1 from UberStudent partition sda3 plus write from my 36 GB ext 4 partition sda1 to Uberstudent partition sda3. My Linux-Swap partition is sda2. Please note that the 36 GB ext 4 partition sda1 is not /home but rather it is just a 36 GB ext 4 partition. Linux has write permissions. You must have the "correct" write permission to be able to write to a partition. The Grub menu was fixed by reinstalling Grub once again "after" I had a working Grub. The first working Grub had a menu listing "Ubuntu". Once Grub was installed and working correctly then I installed Grub a second time. Now I have a grub menu listing "UberStudent 4.1Xfce 64-bit, 3.13.0-37-generic (sda3)" "UberStudent 4.1 Xfce 64-bit, 3.13.0-37-generic (/dev/sda3) -- recovery mode". Now both of my concerns / problems are corrected. Thanks Stephen! James Zerr

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!