Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:24 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:55 pm 
Established UberStudent User

It is a Vaionetbook, VPCW21C7E. Just yesterday I tried Knoppix, Fn-keys did not work too, the command you taught me did the job! With a Puppydistro, as far as I can remember, even the Fn-keys worked. Both distros I do not know, it was just a try, simply to have an inkling about Linux. Generally Linux, it seems, never works out of the box and is the reason very few people are using Linux, though it is free.

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:24 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Right. The way that actually works is that a lot of OEMs, such as Sony, have decided to incorporate an oddball strategy to boost their profits, while their users pay for it all.

They deliberately choose to manufacture their machines with oddball hardware, made odd for no reason except to make it odd, and then they turn to Microsoft and tell them that they must pay the OEM a fee and develop code to make their oddball hardware run on Windows. Most people who buy computers are oblivious to that behind-the-scenes game.

By the very nature of that game, Linux kernel developers are always playing scramble to after-the-fact incorporate hardware support for the endless variety of oddball hardwares; and they literally never will be always up to speed.

Thankfully, not all OEMs play this game. Dell and HP are among the very best at simply choosing a standard piece of hardware that "just runs," whether on Windows or Linux. The challenge is to educate consumers to not buy machines with oddball "made for Windows [and for extracting extra profits from Microsoft]" hardware in the first place.

Every one of the nearly dozen computers (plus peripherals) I own are ones I built myself from hardware components I put together or are made by Dell or HP. And I've never had even one hardware issue running Linux. To run Linux (and at the same time) Windows best, choose an OEM that's not constantly playing whack-a-mole with their hardware. ;)

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:41 am 

Hm, I just think about to buy a Lenovo, Dell, or as you hinted, a HP notebook-perhaps a business edition, new or used one. Lenovo is cheaper, if one can proof to be a colleger or staff of a university. Seeing so many models and types of one single manufacturer makes my head spinning-probably intented! Consumer notebooks are difficult to repair, hooks avoid easy opening of the machine, e. g. in case I want to insert RAM, a bigger HDD/SSD, or both, etc.. HD displays are not offered by many manufacturers, too. Many slots for all kind of gear would be nice. I did not build my PC, bought 18 months ago, simply it was much more expensive than to buy parts. But now I would build one, because I had to bring that PC two times for repair to the shop, because they were much too stupid getting things done. It was free, I paid with my time and not having a PC during that repair. After all, it was even more expensive!
Do you have an idea, how to choose and decide which one to buy (a notebook)?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:56 pm 

See Build Your Own Computer. When you select a motherboard, look at reviews and the stats for Linux compatibility. Avoid EFI motherboards. Prefer NVIDIA graphics cards and avoid ATI ones. That's how I my desktops. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:09 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Petra Colbes, I have not purshased new laptops so I can not help you with that matter. Here are some used laptops which work with UberStudent: 1)Dell Latitude E6400 Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz 2GB RAM 32-Bit 80GB HD 256GB NVIDIA, 2)Dell Latitude E6400 Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz 4GB 32-Bit 150GB HD Intel motherboard video, 3)Dell Latitude D630 Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 32-Bit 80GB HD Intel motherboard video (being dual core should work with 64-bit also), 4)Lenovo Thinkpad T410 ( http://uberstudent.org/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 69448d9f50 ). For new laptops that you would purchase in person then take your 64 GB flashdrive with UberStudent installed and plug in your 64 GB flashdrive and see how the laptop performs. I hope this helps. James

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:00 pm 

@ Stephen, James: Thanks a lot for your suggestions-good idea to bring that stick along. Apart from checking brightness control, what are the most important things to check, when running Linux on a notebook in a shop? I ask that, because I do not want spend days examining hardware. Does a hardware database exist?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 pm 

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:33 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Petra Colbes, I am a linux user who knows mostly point and click so Stephen Ewen has much more knowledge than I do. The main problems I have encountered are wireless drivers and video cards since I have tried linux starting around 2003. My Dell laptops have needed to have drivers installed for wireless to work. I have a wired connection so I have used that connection to install my wireless drivers. Here is code to input in a terminal to discover your Broadcom wireless card: [ lspci -nn -d 14e4: ] . Just use code: [ lspci ] if you are unsure of your chipset. I know for Broadcom BCM4322 802.11 a/b/g/n you use the Broadcom STA Wireless Driver. I know the Dell D630 used the Broadcom b43 driver. Once you know your brand (Intel, Broadcom, etc) and the model (BCM4322) just google your information for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. An example would be: "which wireless drivers work for broadcom bcm4322 on ubuntu 14.04 LTS". You should find an answer or ask on this forum. I have tried a lot of distros over the years and some would just be black when there are video problems. You knew the distro started but your screen was black/blank. I once had an old AMD P111 processor desktop and some distros refused to work even with the vesa video driver. My Dells will dim the brightness. My Dell Latitude E6400 's will work with 64-bit as I tested one with the USB live UberStudent 4.1 and Mint 17.1 so my next install I will use 64-bit. I am sure the Dell D630 will work with the 64-bit but I am waiting for my daughter to bring it to me so I can install UberStudent 4.1. Good luck! James

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!