UberStudent Forums

Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:30 pm

All times are UTC




UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:46 pm 
Offline
UberStudent Forum Helper

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 pm
Posts: 65
I have tried this before after I found advice about it on the net somewhere, but I'll just try again. It looks like this, just in case you can extract meaning from that: :)

Attachment:
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png [ 140.89 KiB | Viewed 12887 times ]



When I use vlc without disk menues, I receive this eror message:
" Playback failure: DVDRead could not read -1/4 blocks at 0x01. "

Thanks! Will reboot and try again...


Top
 Profile  
 

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs


Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:17 pm 
Offline
UberStudent Forum Helper

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 pm
Posts: 65
I have now also tried the following:
- boot into Windows 7 on the same T410 laptop, install firefox and vlc 64bit for windows.
Result: vlc in Win 7 plays a BBC "Frozen Planet" DVD (PAL, Region 4) perfectly on first attempt. This DVD does not run in Uberstudent. I guess that rules out any DVD-region issues programmed into the DVD player hardware as cause of the problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:37 am 
Offline
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:54 am
Posts: 958
Location: UberStudent Headquarters
I am having no issue playing any DVD I have attempted to play on my particular system in UberStudent. The issue you are experiencing is thus, foremost, one of peculiar hardware.

Thanks for your persistence here. DVD playback issues don't happen terribly often in Linux any more, but when they do, troubleshooting them can take numerous posts to work all the way through. Having ruled out everything simple, let's now really drill down and hopefully solve this issue once-and-for-all. ;)

Ultimately, I suspect that your particular DVD drive hardware is region-free; so, you will have to set it to something for DVDs to play consistently. So, let's look at that issue by getting a detailed picture of your system and drive.

1. In UberStudent, place a DVD in to your drive, wait about 20 seconds to ensure the drive has been mounted, and then go to Applications menu > System > Hardware > Disc Path Locator - a tool I put in UberStudent exactly to help with troubleshooting in playing discs. :geek:

After you run Disc Path Locator, some red text should appear. It may look something like /dev/sr0. Whatever is the red text that appears on your system, tell me what it is here.

2. Now let's install a small utility, regionset, so we can see whether or not a specific region is set on your drive. Open a terminal and type in and run the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get install regionset

(This utility will be installed by default in the upcoming UberStudent 4.0.1).

Now, using the red text that you got from Step 1, above, run the following line in a terminal, substituting in whatever is the path to your drive (in this example I am using /dev/sr0)
Code:
regionset /dev/sr0

Is a region set? If so, tell me what is is here. (IMPORTANT: If "Current Region Code settings:" is blank, then there is no region set; tell me that, if so). Now hit n on your keyboard and press Enter to exit regionset without doing any changes.

3. Now in UberStudent go to Applications menu > System > Hardware > System Profiler and Benchmark > Devices > Storage. There, the model of your DVD drive should display (it will be obvious because a DVD icon should appear by it). Post the info here. That will pinpoint the problematic hardware at issue here.

4. Also, are you attempting to view movies on an external monitor through your Thinkpad? On what monitor, if so? In extremely rare cases, as opposed to simply playing the disc displayed on your Thinkpad's monitor, that can be an issue.

So, when replying to this post, please use this template to answer the following:

1. The path to my DVD drive is (the red text): __________________.
2. My "Current Region Code settings:" is (specific info or answer "blank"): ____________________ .
3. My Thinkpad's DVD drive hardware model is (as displayed by System Profiler and Benchmark): ________________.
4. I am using an external monitor to display movies: (yes or no) __________ and, if "yes," the external monitor model is __________________.

Hopefully, we can kill this issue afterward. :ugeek:

_________________
UberStudent Must Become Self-Sustaining. If UberStudent and my dedicated support of it has benefited you, it's important to make a donation. Thanks!

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:26 pm 
Offline
UberStudent Forum Helper

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 pm
Posts: 65
Thank you fr the detailed efforts to help me with this, Stephen!

And please excuse the delays, I have a lot of other responsibilities at the moment but will try to follow through with this. Definitively don't have much time to watch movies at the moment. :lol:

What happened before you wrote the above post was this:
I rebooted into Uberstudent after the
Code:
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
command, and then things were different, but not good yet. Unfortunately I used the Guake terminal during my attempts to get the DVD working over the last week, and it does not seem to remember code typed in a previous session. So while I still think that I had already tried that exact command, I'm not entirely certain. Maybe it was just almost the same command. I have placed a Launcher for Terminal on the desktop and will use that from now instead of Guake.

However, now some DVDs (maybe all) run in vlc, but the video is unacceptably choppy. No more error messages, it just looks like trying to watch video on a way underpowered computer, while there is ample processor power available and no other programs are running (apart from all the background stuff of course).
Totem media player still just return an error message about a "A decoding error has occurred".

I'll follow you detailed instructions above when I have time, just wanted to give an update because I'm not sure how long it will take.

Thanks again!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:01 pm 
Offline
UberStudent Forum Helper

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 pm
Posts: 65
Stephen Ewen wrote:

1. In UberStudent, place a DVD in to your drive, wait about 20 seconds to ensure the drive has been mounted, and then go to Applications menu > System > Hardware > Disc Path Locator - a tool I put in UberStudent exactly to help with troubleshooting in playing discs. :geek:

After you run Disc Path Locator, some red text should appear. It may look something like /dev/sr0. Whatever is the red text that appears on your system, tell me what it is here.

The path is /dev/sr0
Quote:

2. Now let's install a small utility, regionset, so we can see whether or not a specific region is set on your drive. Open a terminal and type in and run the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get install regionset

(This utility will be installed by default in the upcoming UberStudent 4.0.1).
Done: "Regionset is already the newest version".
Quote:

Now, using the red text that you got from Step 1, above, run the following line in a terminal, substituting in whatever is the path to your drive (in this example I am using /dev/sr0)
Code:
regionset /dev/sr0

Is a region set? If so, tell me what is is here. (IMPORTANT: If "Current Region Code settings:" is blank, then there is no region set; tell me that, if so). Now hit n on your keyboard and press Enter to exit regionset without doing any changes.

Attachment:
Screenshot - Region 4.png
Screenshot - Region 4.png [ 26.03 KiB | Viewed 12881 times ]

Quote:

3. Now in UberStudent go to Applications menu > System > Hardware > System Profiler and Benchmark > Devices > Storage. There, the model of your DVD drive should display (it will be obvious because a DVD icon should appear by it). Post the info here. That will pinpoint the problematic hardware at issue here.

Attachment:
Screenshot - DVD drive.png
Screenshot - DVD drive.png [ 25.88 KiB | Viewed 12881 times ]

Quote:

4. Also, are you attempting to view movies on an external monitor through your Thinkpad? On what monitor, if so? In extremely rare cases, as opposed to simply playing the disc displayed on your Thinkpad's monitor, that can be an issue.
No external monitor is connected.
Quote:

So, when replying to this post, please use this template to answer the following:
Ooops :lol: , I should have read through first.... :oops:
Quote:
1. The path to my DVD drive is (the red text): ____/dev/sr0______________.
2. My "Current Region Code settings:" is (specific info or answer "blank"): _______4_____________ .
3. My Thinkpad's DVD drive hardware model is (as displayed by System Profiler and Benchmark): ___Matshita DVD-RAM UJ892 _____________.
4. I am using an external monitor to display movies: (yes or no) ____No______ and, if "yes," the external monitor model is __________________.

Hopefully, we can kill this issue afterward. :ugeek:



Thanks again!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:54 pm 
Offline
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:54 am
Posts: 958
Location: UberStudent Headquarters
If you have VLC playing movies but things are choppy, open your home directory, hit Ctrl+H on your keyboard to toggle showing hidden folders, and delete the entire .dvdcss folder. It will force it to rebuild the key. Does that fix things?

If you wish to try to improve things by setting the region code for your DVD drive, here's how. This should NOT mean that ONLY DVDs of that region will play, but sometimes something has to be set. Choose whichever is most represented in your DVD collection. Here's the map of region codes..

To launch regionset, run the following in a terminal:

Code:
sudo regionset

The rest should be completely self explanatory.

_________________
UberStudent Must Become Self-Sustaining. If UberStudent and my dedicated support of it has benefited you, it's important to make a donation. Thanks!

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:16 pm 
Offline
UberStudent Forum Helper

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 pm
Posts: 65
Stephen Ewen wrote:
Yep, lets set a region code for your DVD drive. This should NOT mean that ONLY DVDs of that region will play, but sometimes something has to be set. Choose whichever is most represented in your DVD collection. Here's the map of region codes..

To launch regionset, run the following in a terminal:

Code:
sudo regionset

The rest should be completely self explanatory.


I thought that region 4 is already set?
See:
Attachment:
Screenshot - Region 4.png
Screenshot - Region 4.png [ 26.03 KiB | Viewed 12878 times ]


I just tried out again what happens when I boot into Windows 7:
vlc plays a region 4 disc perfectly, but has read problems with a region 2 DVD.
Windows media player also plays a region 4 DVD perfectly, and announces that I need to change the region to region 2 when I inset a region 2 DVD.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:22 pm 
Offline
UberStudent Forum Helper

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 pm
Posts: 65
Stephen Ewen wrote:
If you have VLC playing movies but things are choppy, open your home directory, hit Ctrl+H on your keyboard to toggle showing hidden folders, and delete the entire .dvdcss folder. It will force it to rebuild the key. Does that fix things?

If you wish to try to improve things by setting the region code for your DVD drive, here's how. This should NOT mean that ONLY DVDs of that region will play, but sometimes something has to be set. Choose whichever is most represented in your DVD collection. Here's the map of region codes..

To launch regionset, run the following in a terminal:

Code:
sudo regionset

The rest should be completely self explanatory.


I tried this on another (Dell) laptop which plays DVDs from different regions just fine in Uberstudent with vlc and then on this Thinkpad T410:

On the T410, regionset returns the following message:
" regionset version 0.1 -- reads/sets region code on DVD drives
ERROR: Could not open disc "(null)"!
Please ensure there is a readable CD or DVD in the drive."

That is with a disc (mounted) in the drive.

On the Dell, regionset returns the same error message.

The regionset /dev/sr0 command on the T410 returns this:
"regionset /dev/sr0
regionset version 0.1 -- reads/sets region code on DVD drives
Current Region Code settings:
RPC Phase: II
type: SET
vendor resets available: 4
user controlled changes resets available: 4
drive plays discs from region(s): 4, mask=0xF7

Would you like to change the region setting of your drive? [Y/N]"


The same on the Dell returns this:
"regionset /dev/sr0
regionset version 0.1 -- reads/sets region code on DVD drives
Current Region Code settings:
RPC Phase: II
type: LAST CHANCE
vendor resets available: 4
user controlled changes resets available: 1
drive plays discs from region(s): 4, mask=0xF7

Would you like to change the region setting of your drive? [Y/N]"


Baffled.... :?:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:37 pm 
Offline
UberStudent Forum Helper

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 pm
Posts: 65
Stephen Ewen wrote:
If you have VLC playing movies but things are choppy, open your home directory, hit Ctrl+H on your keyboard to toggle showing hidden folders, and delete the entire .dvdcss folder. It will force it to rebuild the key. Does that fix things?
...
...


I somehow missed that part on first read, or maybe you edited it later?

Anyhow, deleting the .dvdcss folder fixed one the problems!

Hooray and thank you very much! One step further....

The region 4 disk now plays perfectly, but the region 2 disk (which plays fine in US / vlc on the Dell) does not play. I'm getting the message:
"Playback failure: DVDRead could not read block 0."

I tried deleting the .dvdcss folder again and then inserted the Region 2 DVD first, but it will still not play correctly.

Slowly getting there...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs


Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!



All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group