Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:46 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:12 am 
New UberStudent User

I am trying to install Uberstudent 4.0 on a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and UEFI. Given my limited knowledge, I have been reading articles on this process. So far, I have disabled secure boot (UEFI still enabled/did not select Legacy), turned off fast start up and partitioned my hard drive for the installation. I have also downloaded and prepared Uberstudent 4.0 with the latest pendrivelinux installation that supports Windows 8.

I have not been able to get this computer to boot from USB. I get an error stating "System doesn't have any USB boot option. Please select other boot option in Boot Manager". When I click OK, the Boot Manager only shows one option, Windows Boot Manager (WD WD10JPVX-22JC3TO).

(On an identical laptop, I enabled Legacy [vs. UEFI], and I moved USB to #1 priority on the boot list, placing it above Windows Boot Manager. That system became unbootable, so I am proceeding with caution, since I don't know which change rendered the unit unbootable.)

Also, I saw a video on youtube regarding another method of installing Linux on a Windows machine. He suggests using Easy BCD to edit the windows boot loader to include the given Linux installation. He advises that this will make the system more stable by placing GRUB 2 in the Linux partition, so it will be protected from Windows updates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Information:
Acer E5-571-563B
Windows 8.1
Intel Core i5 -4210U @ 1.7GHz (2.4GHz turbo)
6 GB DDR3L
1TB HD

source articles:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/221835/i ... -supported
http://itsfoss.com/install-ubuntu-1404- ... 8-81-uefi/

Thank you, Matt

Attachments:
boot_menu.jpg
boot_menu.jpg [ 36.45 KiB | Viewed 10031 times ]
USB_boot.jpg
USB_boot.jpg [ 37.01 KiB | Viewed 10031 times ]

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:16 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Honestly, with Acer putting that many ridiculous hurdles in front of its users who wish to use their system as they desire--even if it is a model designed for mass selling in Box Box stores--I'd take the machine back and get a refund, if you are still within that time window where you can do that. Then, I'd call Acer and try to get as high up in their food chain as possible and professionally let them know exactly why I returned their machine. Then, I'd get, say, a comparable machine from System76 and, if truly you need it, an actual Windows installation disc that you can use as you wish and that is not specifically designed to die when your Acer dies. If you get such a machine and need Windows, call System 76 and let them know you will be creating a dual boot machine and ask them to send it to you formatted for that. Then, install Windows, then install UberStudent, in that order. Done.

That said, with 6 GBs of memory on board, here's a good option for using your model of Acer:

Don't even worry about installing UberStudent as a bootable machine. Instead, just install VirtualBox in Windows; then, download the UberStudent OVA file for your architecture, import it as a virtual machine in to VirtualBox (see the README.txt file at the download page for directions), and run UberStudent using Windows as the host system. Once you've imported the OVA file, download the VirtualBox Extension Pack and install it inside of VirtualBox, and then set up a shared folder so either system can use the same files. If UberStudent runs slowly from the pre-packed OVA file (it's configured to use only 2GBs of memory), let me know and I'll guide you to install it in to VirtualBox from the ISO file with more memory allocated to UberStudent. It's all very easy.

Alternately, after getting a System Restore disc from Acer as describe below (!), wipe your Acer's harddrive, install UberStudent, and then install Windows using an original disc in to VirtualBox using UberStudent as your host system (I myself have this sytem, but have not actually used it since Google Chrome Beta in Linux, with a tiny hack, began perfectly supporting Netflix!). To wipe your system's harddrive in this case, place the UberStudent disc in to your machine, and go to Applications menu > System > Hardware and run Gparted. Wipe your entire drive, format half of it as ext4 and half of it as FAT32, and then run the UberStudent installation disc and choose "Something Else" and install it to the ext4 drive. Then install Windows in VirtualBox using UberStudent as the host system and use the FAT32 drive as your shared drive between both machines.

Another option, if you do not mind the possibility of having to completely reformat your system (which it sounds like you may already need to do at this point), follows:

Call Acer and ask them to send you a system restore disk for your machine (the kind designed to die when your Acer dies). They will likely gripe and complain that you asked for this; just be persistent. They will then ask for your machine's serial number (located on the bottom of it) and charge you $5 to $15 dollars, perhaps a bit more. This way, you are not dependent upon the section of the drive on your Acer designed to "restore" your system inside of Windows in case Windows in your machine itself become unbootable. Then, use the disc to restore your Acer to its factory state, and then install UberStudent. Then, with the UberStudent installation disc still in the drive, reboot from the same disc and boot in to UberStudent from the live session, as if you were about to test UberStudent from the disc for the first time. Then, in that live mode of UberStudent, go to Applications menu > System > Administration > Boot Repair, run it, and hope for the best. If that does not work, boot from harddrive once, let it fail, and then boot again from the UberStudent disc and run Boot Manager again...and again hope for the best. You'll have the system restore disc from Acer, if not! (Again, it already sounds like you need one).

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!