Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:40 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:39 am 
Established UberStudent User

At the moment I am using Uberstudent 4.0 and running windows inside of virtual box as my school says I must have windows. I have found the pre-installed programs in Uberstudent to be fantastic and I wish to continue using Uberstudent as my main operating system, however I found virtual box to be extremely slow and it lags a lot. Also my school will only connect windows or Mac operating systems to their wireless, and virtual box only allows windows to connect to networks that the host operating system has previously connected to. I have had a few complications with virtual box failing to use the more powerful programs I would like to use such as the Maginon USB microscope software which crashes the virtual machine and causes the whole virtual operating system to shut down. Do you think a dual boot system would help with these problems?
If they will help I would like to know;
. How to dual boot windows and Uberstudent
. The pros and cons of dual booting
. What happens to your other operating systems if you factory reset windows
. If you make a windows backup image and try to use it what will happen to your other operating systems

Thank you, any help you could give me would be much appreciated. :)

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:17 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

How much total memory is on your system and how much memory do you have allocated to UberStudent ;) Windows inside VirtualBox?

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:44 am 

Uberstudent is not inside virtual box it is the host system and windows is inside (admin edit:) windows UberStudent.

I have 500GB overall on my laptop, 50GB allcated to windows

My system has 4GB of ram and two of them are allocated to windows inside virtual box.

Thank you :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:40 am 

Yea, I meant "Windows," not "UberStudent." :oops: :lol: But you figured out what information I was seeking. :geek:

I need still more information about your hardware.

Within UberStudent, please go to Applications menu > System > Hardware > System Profiler and Benchmark > Generate Report > Select All > Generate - and then attach the saved file to your next post.

Overall, I suspect your issue is lack of memory (RAM). It may also be lack of video memory, though, or both. I won't know for sure until I see your hardware profile. :geek:

As for your university network issues, I have sent you a private message. Please access it by clicking on the appropriate link beneath the UberStudent logo at the top-left side of the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:45 am 

Here is the system summary

file:///home/ljsk/system%20reports/report%20for%20forum.html

My computer has two slots where you could put Ram cards and one of them has a 4GB ADATA card in it. On the ADATA card it says "replace with HP spare" this computer did not come with a spare. Does this mean I have to buy the extra memory from HP or is there a cheaper brand that will work instead?

Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:49 am 

You have to attach the file by scrolling below the input text box of the forum, where you will see a section "Upload attachment." You may need to first change the file extension from .html to .txt.

Based upon your private message, your university's network is system-agnostic. You should actually face zero issues connecting to it in Linux.

By the way, as you become more advanced in using files in Linux, as well as Mac and Windows, it's best to avoid the use of spaces in file names. Use dashes or underscores, instead. So, system reports would become system-reports or system_reports, and for forum would become for-forum or for_forum.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:18 am 

It is rejecting the txt file because it was identified as a possible attack vector so I will just try to copy/paste it in

Admin Edit: I've attached the info in a text file.

Attachment:
specs.txt [24.51 KiB]
Downloaded 668 times

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:56 am 

I was concerned that your video card was poor and wanted to look at it before going all the way and suggesting you buy more RAM, but the Radeon HD 8400 video card in your laptop should be able to handle things fairy well. You can probably diminish some of the lag by installing the proprietary driver for it. Go to Applications menu > System > Hardware > Proprietary Driver Manager and it should detect your card and suggest the correct driver.

That said, with 4 GB of total available memory shared between the host and guest system, you are probably going to continue to experience lag, and pretty consistently, especially if you are wanting to run memory-intensive microscope software with its corresponding hardware. 2GB is the minimum required to simply run the Windows OS itself decently, without even accounting for programs you may need to run within it. :| UberStudent alone is much more apt to run satisfactorily with only 2GB of memory, due to it's lightweight Xfce desktop environment. ;)

Thus, the most straightforward fix is to upgrade your laptop's memory to 8GB, making sure that the memory you purchase is compatible with your HP laptop model. You should then allocate 4GB to both the host and guest system. Problem solved. :geek: I do realize this may take a bite in to your budget, though. :|

I strongly urge you to not attempt the creation of a dual-boot system while amid a university semester (term) on a laptop you are dependent upon to do your schoolwork. Although uncommon, issues can happen, and more commonly if your laptop came with Windows 8 pre-installed. You don't need them to become a focus rather than your schoolwork. Wait until your semester (term) ends when you have time to spare and no deadlines to meet. Installing memory, on the other hand, is simple and straightforward: 15 minutes, a small screwdriver, putting it in, and then right-clicking over the Windows OS entry in the VirtualBox Manager and going to Settings > System > Motherboard and raising it to 4096MB (in the case of an 8GB upgrade) is all it takes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:30 am 

The recommended driver is;

xserver-xorg-video-ati
Version 1:7.3.0-1ubuntu3.1
X.org X server -- AMD-ATI display driver wrapper

However I have no idea what this means, does it have something to do with the RAM card I should purchase or???? :?:

Thank you for all the help. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:02 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Greetings Julias. The xserver-xorg-video-ati Version 1:7.3.0-1ubuntu3.1 X.org X server -- AMD-ATI display driver wrapper is the driver for your Radeon HD 8400 video card. That should help you a little when you install that driver but you will still need to do the memory upgrade for a more noticeable improvement if I correctly understood Stephen's reply. You will still need to determine the correct memory to purchase. James

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!