Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:52 pm 
Established UberStudent User

Hi, :)

my school mandates that a Windows 8 laptop with MS Office is to be used by the students.

Therefore, I want to use a Linux machine and run a Windows emulation inside it.

Is UberStudent a good choice for the host system?

Which emulation program would work best? It appears that Virtualbox might work, but which version is the right one?

And which version of VirtualBox will work best with the new UberStudent 4.0 coming out next week?

Thank you very much for any explanations about this.

Michael

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:11 pm 

I found an earlier post regarding some of my questions: :oops: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=548&p=1483&hilit=virtualbox#p1483

Quote:
If unsatisfactory, these directions for getting going with VirtualBox are good, with a couple of caveats:

- You should allocate as a general rule around 1 GB of memory instead of what the directions say. If you only have 2GB of memory on your machine, allocate 768MB. If you have 8 GB of memory on your machine, allocate 3 GB.
- Install the VirtualBox verson for Ubuntu 13.04.
- The directions works the same for any version of Windows.
- To extract the Windows discs, I recommend installing acetoneiso from Synaptic Package Manager or the Software Center.

It takes a bit of work to get VirtualBox all set up correctly, but once you do it's a done deal and exceptionally nice to have. Let me know how it goes or if you run into any snags.... :)

Is it possible to install Windows 8 into the VirtualBox from the backup partition?

I bought a new laptop and I have removed the original HDD unused, and replaced it with an empty HDD to install a Linux system on. Will I need to buy a Windows installation CD or is there some way to move the (legal and paid for) Windows 8 from the original HDD into the Linux-hosted VirtualBox?

Thanks, Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:24 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

I'm a huge fan of Virtualbox. It works works without issue in UberStudent. I do a lot of development in it. I currently have over 20 Linux distros in it, and It is how I run Windows when I must. In UberStudent 4.0, you can install the latest version of Virtualbox by going to Applications menu > System > Extra System Apps which will run the UberStudent Appinstaller. You'll seen an option to install virtualbox-4.3, the latest official version of it from Oracle, from there.
Attachment:
ss.png
ss.png [ 187.07 KiB | Viewed 71458 times ]

You will not be able to use any type of Windows system restore disk on any machine, including a virtual machine, other than the system for which the disc or partition was created. The only way Windows is portable for Windows 8 is if your laptop came with the "System Builder" or retail edition; in that case, the license is not coded in to the machine's BIOs; so, the OS can be installed in to another machine, including a virtual one. With Windows 7 instead, you can use a retail or OEM edition and install it on to any system, including a virtual one. I myself use an OEM edition of Windows 7 hosted on UberStudent in Virtualbox so I can use Netflix.

Is your school really REQUIRING Windows? Can you show me the page where it actually says that?

If you really MUST have MS Office, the webapp versions run perfectly fine on Linux. Just download uberstudent-webapps-msoffice_0.0.1_all.deb and install it with gdebi (right click over it and you'll see the option to open it with gdebi). In 4.0, you'll be able to install uberstudent-webapps-msoffice from an AppInstaller entry.

To avoid the trap you describe, I refuse to buy any computer with an operating system pre-installed. I build my PCs from parts I buy at NewEgg and get twice the power for the money and complete control over the components I want. All five of the desktop PCs in my house, I made (see my "UberStudent Headquarters" signature). Once most people do this once, they're unlikely to ever by a pre-made machine again because they'll see how much of a rip-off pre-made PCs actually are. With laptops, you have to buy one with Linux or Free DOS preinstalled, and then install the a retail version of Windows in to it if you really must have Windows. In that way, Windows does not die with the laptop, i.e., it is portable and not glued to one machine, and you can install Windows where you want because you have the actual disc for doing so.If you want a dual-boot machine, you have to install Windows first and then Linux; or, just install your Linux distro and then use it as a host machine to run Windows in VirtualBox. If you choose the latter, I recommend a higher-end video card (256MB to 512MB memory) and 8GB of RAM memory or more on your host machine and allocating 1/4 of the memories to running Windows in VirtualBox.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:28 am 

Stephen Ewen wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Virtualbox. It works works without issue in UberStudent. I do a lot of development in it. I currently have over 20 Linux distros in it, and It is how I run Windows when I must. In UberStudent 4.0, you can install the latest version of Virtualbox by going to Applications menu > System > Extra System Apps which will run the UberStudent Appinstaller. You'll seen an option to install virtualbox-4.3, the latest official version of it from Oracle, from there.
Attachment:
ss.png

You will not be able to use any type of Windows system restore disk on any machine, including a virtual machine, other than the system for which the disc or partition was created. The only way Windows is portable for Windows 8 is if your laptop came with the "System Builder" or retail edition; in that case, the license is not coded in to the machine's BIOs; so, the OS can be installed in to another machine, including a virtual one. With Windows 7 instead, you can use a retail or OEM edition and install it on to any system, including a virtual one. I myself use an OEM edition of Windows 7 hosted on UberStudent in Virtualbox so I can use Netflix.

Why is your school REQUIRING Windows? Can you show me the page where it says that?

If you really MUST have MS Office, the webapp versions run perfectly fine on Linux. Just download uberstudent-webapps-msoffice_0.0.1_all.deb and install it with gdebi (right click over it and you'll see the option to open it with gdebi). In 4.0, you'll be able to install uberstudent-webapps-msoffice from an AppInstaller entry.

To avoid the trap you describe, I refuse to buy any computer with an operating system pre-installed. I build my PCs from parts I buy at NewEgg and get twice the power for the money and complete control over the components I want. All five of the desktop PCs in my house, I made (see my "UberStudent Headquarters" signature). Once most people do this once, they're unlikely to ever by a pre-made machine again because they'll see how much of a rip-off pre-made PCs actually are. With laptops, you have to buy one with Linux or Free DOS preinstalled, and then install the a retail version of Windows in to it if you really must have Windows. In that way, Windows does not die with the laptop, i.e., it is portable and not glued to one machine, and you can install Windows where you want because you have the actual disc for doing so.If you want a dual-boot machine, you have to install Windows first and then Linux; or, just install your Linux distro and then use it as a host machine to run Windows in VirtualBox. If you choose the latter, I recommend a higher-end video card (256MB to 512MB memory) and 8GB of RAM memory or more on your host machine and allocating 1/4 of the memories to running Windows in VirtualBox.

Thank you Steve, for these comprehensive hints, much appreciated!

Being new to all this, I wonder if it would be a good idea to wait 2 more days and then install Uberstudent 4.0, rather than fiddling with 3.0 all weekend. Is there a way to convert Uberstudent 3.0 into 4.0 and keeping all setting etc intact, or does it need a complete reinstall? I tried to ask this in your 4.0 announcement, but it does not seem to allow commenting.

Meanwhile, I have bought a Windows 8.1 installation disk from a shop. It does not mention at all on how many computers it can be installed, unlike the MS Office offers which are all very particular about "1 PC only" or "5 PCs for 1 year".

UberStudent 3.0 is now running and VBox 4.3 is installed and asking for the Windows installation disk. I assume that it will require online registration with Microsoft during or after installation. That brings me to my next question: What if I want to try out a different Linux distro next week, on the same computer, and run Windows in Vboc 4.3 again? Will MS refuse registration/activation?

Thanks again, Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:45 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Michael, It has been my experience that when a new version of UberStudent comes out you must reinstall "especially" if you do not have a separate /Home partition. Did you make a separate partition for your /Home? If you did then you would still want to back up all files in your /Home partition before updating from 3.0 to 4.0 just in case something goes wrong as you do loose all of your files. If you created a separate /Home partition during installation then you would want to point 4.0 to your /Home partition as well as point 4.0 to your swap partition during installation if you created a swap partition. In this example during installation of 4.0 when you already have 3.0 installed you would only overwrite your / partition and just point 4.0 to the /Home and the swap partition during installation. I am sure that Stephen will answer when he gets a chance. He is really good about replying and helping out. He and others on the forum have always pointed me in the right direction. I am keeping up with your progress as I have a Dell 32 bit laptop that has Vista on it with installation discs and I am thinking of a clean install of linux and then run Vista in VB. My linux installs have always run so much faster than a windows install when on the same desktop or laptop. Good luck and enjoy. James

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:50 pm 

To make life easier, I would wait until Monday for UberStudent 4.0.

Michael Krell wrote:
What if I want to try out a different Linux distro next week, on the same computer, and run Windows in Vboc 4.3 again? Will MS refuse registration/activation?

Here's how you can avoid that for the same machine:
Attachment:
export.png
export.png [ 107.6 KiB | Viewed 71440 times ]

Also, when you make the virtual drive (Storage on physical hard drive) when you initially install Windows in VirtualBox, make sure you choose "Dynamically allocated" or your exported VirtualBox appliance will be huge. Too, make sure to install Guest Additions and any extension pack before you export your appliance, so it is all ready to go when you reverse the procedure by importing the appliance. So, to be clear, you install Windows in to VirtualBox, get it all ready how you want it, export the installation as an Appliance, and then simply import the Appliance when you want or need to again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:48 pm 

Stephen Ewen wrote:
To make life easier, I would wait until Monday for UberStudent 4.0.

Michael Krell wrote:
What if I want to try out a different Linux distro next week, on the same computer, and run Windows in Vboc 4.3 again? Will MS refuse registration/activation?

Here's how you can avoid that for the same machine:
Attachment:
export.png

Also, when you make the virtual drive (Storage on physical hard drive) when you initially install Windows in VirtualBox, make sure you choose "Dynamically allocated" or your exported VirtualBox appliance will be huge. Too, make sure to install Guest Additions and any extension pack before you export your appliance, so it is all ready to go when you reverse the procedure by importing the appliance. So, to be clear, you install Windows in to VirtualBox, get it all ready how you want it, export the installation as an Appliance, and then simply import the Appliance when you want or need to again.

Thanks Stephen.
Can an exported VB appliance be imported to a version of VB that is running in another physical computer, or will it only work for the same computer?
As in this scenario: In a couple of years I buy a new computer, install a Linux distro and VirtualBox, then import the old VB appliance with Windows or whatever else on it?
If imported appliances only work in the same physical computer, then how much can be changed before it stops working? For example, if I wanted to upgrade to a solid state hard drive into the otherwise identical laptop, would it still work?

Thanks again, Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:55 pm 

James Zerr wrote:
Michael, It has been my experience that when a new version of UberStudent comes out you must reinstall "especially" if you do not have a separate /Home partition. Did you make a separate partition for your /Home? If you did then you would still want to back up all files in your /Home partition before updating from 3.0 to 4.0 just in case something goes wrong as you do loose all of your files. If you created a separate /Home partition during installation then you would want to point 4.0 to your /Home partition as well as point 4.0 to your swap partition during installation if you created a swap partition. In this example during installation of 4.0 when you already have 3.0 installed you would only overwrite your / partition and just point 4.0 to the /Home and the swap partition during installation. ...

Thanks James,
good points.
I have started a new topic about the partitioning choices, because I could not find much about it on this forum with a quick search.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:39 am 

Michael Krell wrote:
Can an exported VB appliance be imported to a version of VB that is running in another physical computer, or will it only work for the same computer?
As in this scenario: In a couple of years I buy a new computer, install a Linux distro and VirtualBox, then import the old VB appliance with Windows or whatever else on it?
If imported appliances only work in the same physical computer, then how much can be changed before it stops working? For example, if I wanted to upgrade to a solid state hard drive into the otherwise identical laptop, would it still work?

A big point of exported appliances is so they can be shared and imported on to other computers (UberStudent is available as an exported VirtualBox appliance for this reason). HOWEVER, I don't have experience doing this with Windows, so I simply do not know how Windows will behave when a Windows appliance is imported in to VirtualBox on another machine. I could try it with Windows 7 sometime but now is a bad time for me to do that and it may not mean anything for how Windows 8 would behave. If you simply get a new harddrive for the same machine and import the appliance, though, it most certainly will not be an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:21 am 

I am trying to install windows using virtual box but I always get the same error message, a few seconds after the installation disk starts spinning up this error message appears.

Your PC needs to restart.
Please hold down the power button.
Error code: 0x0000000A
Parameters:
0xFFFFFFE6
0x00000000
0x8111D50

Sorry, I tried to to upload a screen shot but it did not work.

I would be very grateful if you could help me out with this problem,
thank you.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!