Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:57 am

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 pm 
New UberStudent User

Greetings. Thanks for your efforts on UberStudent.

I've been running 1.0 for some time, now I'm looking to update to 2.0

I've downloaded uberstudent-2.0-lxde-i386.iso and confirmed the md5 hash.

I've burnt the image to a CD, and checked that under Windows the CD contains folders named .disk, casper, install, isolinux, preseed - and a file named 'ubuntu'.

When I boot my laptop using this CD I get a boot-selection screen headed UberStudent-2.0-lxde with a background image showing 3 sages and options for live, xforcevesa, memtest, hd.

The [tab] and up/down keys do not function. Hitting [Return] does not preempt the countdown timer. When the countdown timer reaches 1 second nothing else happens. The system is then 'hung' and has to be powercycled.

Can you suggest how to make progress or troubleshoot this situation, please?

The target hardware, which still runs U/S 1.0, is a Compaq Presario 1110 1.6GHz Celeron, 448MB about 10 years old. The Bios does not have support for booting from USB, so I can't try booting from a USB stick as an alternative.

Regards -

David Roberts
Leicester, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Hi David, it's David :D,

Can you confirm that live CDs of other Distributions based on Ubuntu 12.04 like Lubuntu are bootable?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:55 am 
New UberStudent User

David Baum wrote:
Can you confirm that live CDs of other Distributions based on Ubuntu 12.04 like Lubuntu are bootable?

Downloaded and burnt lubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/relea ... 4/release/

At boot time, an Lubuntu selection screen appears, immediately obscured by a language selection screen preset to English. Touching anything on the keyboard causes the system to freeze. If I leave the keyboard alone the countdown timer expires, the CD spins up again, then the screen clears and I am left with just a flashing cursor.

I'm anticipating that you'll say this indicates a problem with the upstream distribution that UberStudent is based on and that UberStudent is no longer a viable option for the hardware I am trying to use?

[fwiw, the UberStudent 2.0 lxde LiveCD boots OK on a Compaq Presario Desktop of exactly the same age as the laptop.]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:30 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

In general, the classic symptom of a computer "freezing" is a memory issue. Typically, it is not a software issue, whether with Linux, Windows, or Mac.

When a Linux Live System boots, it must load the entire system in to the system memory. Your issue sounds like a problem with exactly that: your memory is old and freezing and at end-of-life. Data is not moving into it rightly. Thus, everything "freezes." That seems well-confirmed by the test David Baum smartly requested you do. This all is to say it's neither an upstream or downstream issue, but a hardware issue.

I have a ten-year-old laptop that I cannot update beyond UberStudent 1.0 Lightweight, for exactly these reasons. It's all but dead, but works for a short time in a pinch.

Rebooting in to the Live System multiple times to trigger the memory to work correctly can sometimes result in it working correctly, but by no means always. Often, the only fix is to install newer memory from somewhere.

Given the age of your computer, a newer barebones or refurbished machine for under U.S $400 from someplace like NewEgg--or better yet, one you make from new bargain-priced parts for the same price--would be most advisable, in my view. I make all of my machines from parts I buy, nowadays, and get much more power for my money. And with all the extra fans I install, I roughly double their lifespan. ;)

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:09 pm 
New UberStudent User

Stephen Ewen wrote:
When a Linux Live System boots, it must load the entire system in to the system memory. Your issue sounds like a problem with exactly that: your memory is old and freezing and at end-of-life. Data is not moving into it rightly. Thus, everything "freezes." That seems well-confirmed by the test David Baum smartly requested you do. This all is to say it's neither an upstream or downstream issue, but a hardware issue.

I could see there must be a reason why David B suggested that test, but I miss-guessed the reason.

Thanks for the advice. David R.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:40 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Quote:
In general, the classic symptom of a computer "freezing" is a memory issue.

I didn't know that either.

Quote:
When a Linux Live System boots, it must load the entire system in to the system memory.

But what is the difference between the normal boot process and the option "load into RAM" given in some live cds (puppy linux, bodhi) then :?: Didn't find any answer on the internet.

Nice week-end all 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:32 am 

I was overly simplifying. This explains the process.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Thanks for the link. I heard openSUSE's handbook is one of the best written out there.
Quote:
initramfs is a small cpio archive that the Kernel can load to a RAM disk. It provides a minimal Linux environment that enables the execution of programs before the actual root file system is mounted. This minimal Linux environment is loaded into memory

I think I unterstand: Basically, in the normal boot process, all the required files to run a minimal system are loaded into RAM which allows the operating system to access programs later when the user opens them. And only THEN these programs are loaded into RAM.
And with the option "load into RAM" you load ALL programs and system files into RAM while booting.
Is this the way one can sum it up in three sentences? I don't have deep knowledge of what goes on under the hood in operating systems :geek: 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:06 am 

Yep, sounds good.

I agree that the SUSE documentation is very good. That and the ArchLinux documentation have helped me a lot. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:44 pm 
Established UberStudent User

Even i tried to install on my old desktop but the installer failed . its IBM Net Vista 6568 LDG, 20 GB HD , 256MB ram (128*2) ..