Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:06 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:40 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

After updates were applied I have a generic Welcome screen. I would like to return to the UberStudent Welcome screen. I have added the welcome screen under Settings. It is now showing in startup items and is checked. I logged out. I choose UberStudent Session but the same generic Welcome Screen appears. I used Command: sh -c "sleep 10; uberstudentwelcome-launcher;". I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I tried this correction on 2.10 xfce but I have lost the UberStudent Welcome screen on 2.10 and also 3.0. I got the command from a fresh install of 3.0 on a VB which I have not yet done the updates. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:56 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

I'm not sure what you mean. There are at least two things in UberStudent you may be referring to

(1) The UberStudent Welcome Screen:

(2) The UberStudsent Login Screen

In the case of #1:

If you want the welcome screen to run again after choosing to disable it, which is done by unticking the box for that as shown in the screesnshot, you have to delete the program's norun flag which get's written when you untick the box.

Open a terminal (you can just hit F12 in UberStudent) and run the following:

Code:
rm $HOME/.uberstudent/uberstudentWelcome/norun.flag

Or to do the above manually:

1. Open your home directory in the file browser.
2. Hit Ctr + H to toggle the showing and hiding of hidden files
3. Navigate in to the .uberstudent folder
4. Navigate to the uberstudentWelcome folder
5. Delete the file norun.flag

Whichever method, it should now run again at startup.

In the case of #2:

Some user intervention beyond just updating the system has brought the breakage. I have both 32-bit and 64-bit UberStudent 3.0 editions fully updated and the default login displays just fine. In fact, a generic login theme does not even exist by default in UberStudent 3.0. The only one is the UberStudent themed one, as pictured above.

The program that manages login in UberStudent is mdm. The themes for it are mdm themes. If you've installed additional mdm themes, they may have been set to display. Go to Applications menu > System > Look and Feel > Login Window and change the theme to whatever you like. The theme UberStudent should be available from the dialog.

Another possible cause for the breakage is that you've installed an entire additional desktop environment into UberStudent, such as KDE. If so, it will want to use it own login manager. When you installed the additional desktop environment, it specifically asked if you wanted to to change the login manager from mdm to something else. If you changed it from mdm, then mdm is no longer the default login manager; so, something that seems generic may now display. To make mdm the default login manager again, open a terminal (hit F12 on your keyboard in UberStudent) and run:

Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall mdm

When it asks if you want to make mdm the default login manager, choose yes. Then, reboot and you should have it back again. ;)

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:35 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Maybe I inadvertently installed something. What I have when I navigate to "Login Window Preferences" under "Local" "Style" : GDM and then it is "Cirlces". I changed to "Style" : HTML but I only have a choice: MDM A bootstrap HTML theme. When I go to the newly installed 3.0 I see it is "Style" : HTML with two choices of uberstudent with the top/first listed selected and no other choices. On each install ( 2.1.1 & 3.0 ) the "Login Window Preferences" box looks the same. I see in the 2.1.1 in Synaptic Package Manager I have MDM installed plus mint-mdm-themes installed. I have messed something up as there is no uberstudent-mdm-theme 0.0.1 to choose from in Synaptic in my 2.1.1. Since Synaptic can not find it is there a way to install uberstudent-mdm-theme 0.0.1? As you have noted it is operator error.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:02 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

I have the wrong mdm installed! mdm 1.2.5-0-webupd8-quantal1_i386.deb Is it possible to install the correct mdm? I am not sure why but I must have installed this item.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:12 am 

You need to be using 3.0. Under the hood, it is very different and vastly superior to any prior version. There is no unique UberStudent repository prior to version 3.0.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:39 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Thanks Stephen! I fired up the laptop again with the 3.0 and yes everything is working correctly. I must have had the problem on the laptop before I installed 3.0. I need to replace the keyboard on the laptop and must plug a keyboard into it for now. I sure thought that I had the problem with 3.0 as well as 2.1.1 but that is not the case. I am going to make sure I install everything in the VB with 3.0 and then I will delete the VB with the 2.1.1 on my other machine. Thanks for your help. I have learned some more by you taking the time to help me with this issue. I used the information you gave me in your posts on this issue to investigate my problem. You showed me some shortcuts and how to find hidden folders also. Thanks for all you do!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:20 am 

Future editions will have a tiny program "About UberStudent" and an entry for it in the menu that among other things includes the version of UberStudent. In fact, I think I'll just release that as an update into 3.0.... ;)

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!