It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:09 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:58 pm 
Established UberStudent User

Hello,

I'm writing because from yesterday i'm having this problem:

My desktop has become all gray and the icon are disappeared, I don't know why it's happened..
I had stopped using Uberstudent for a couple of week and yesterday after the log in I bumped into thes situation..

New event: While i was writing i have tried to change the start up window (the one where i log in).
I have changed to the one named Sea, and after log out and a new log in the desktop now is blue..

Any idea of what is happening and how i can fix it?

Edit: I don't know if the desktop is considered a process (i mean something like the explorer in windows) but it is as if this process has disappeared..

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:02 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

It sounds like you're trying to log in to some other session; hence, when you log in to it there is no default icon theme and background set for it; so, none appears.

You can skip this paragraph is you want. :ugeek: Technically, the other session is probably using "default" as its icon theme, which since I think upstream Ubuntu 11.10 is deprecated (see http://askubuntu.com/questions/78285/ic ... gs-folders) and points only to the default cursor theme, just as it does in UberStudent 3.0). It reads /usr/share/icons/default and the only thing there is one line indicating the cursor them. :| In fact, I experienced all this myself two nights ago when I installed the razor-qt desktop environment into UberStudent 3.0 to test it out. It read the default icon theme as default and so initially had no icons. I'm seriously thinking about overriding how all that is handled, it is very easy to do with just some symlinks, and then release it in a package. The UberStudent session itself has UberOxygen icons set as default - it works like this: a script that runs very early sets a default directory as /etc/xdg/xdg-uberstudent and the UberStudent session in /usr/share/xsessions/ (which you select and log in through at the login manager) runs an executable at /usr/bin/startxfce4 which first reads from xdg-uberstudent and there finds xml files at /etc/xdg/xdg-uberstudent/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/ which control most of the session's whole appearance--UberOxygen as the icon theme, A+DarkSilver as the theme, the default background, the panels, etc. So if UberStudent session is run and the UberOxygen icons exist, they should display.

So to fix the issue of no default icon theme for some non-UberStudent session, in the Applications menu go to System > Settings and in the dialog that appears choose Appearance and then select the default style and icons you want for that session. If you're using some icon set besides one that is very complete like UberOxygen, one you got from somewhere, there may be large gaps in it, so in addition run this in a terminal to fill in the gaps:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-icon-theme-extras

Now, to login in to the default UberStudent Xfce session, at the login manager just make sure you choose the UberStudent Xfce Session from among the options (there will be some icon to select it from). If it does not appear among the options, then while you were tweaking the system you must have uninstalled it without realizing it (for example, if you install any package with the name xubuntu in it, it will conflict with packages in UberStudent and uninstall them). To restore the UberStudent session, run this in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall uberstudent-xfce-default-settings-enduser

If it complains that it's not installed, run

Code:
sudo apt-get install uberstudent-xfce-default-settings-enduser

Then reboot and select the UberStudent session from the login screen.

Does that fix the issue?

Also, it sounds like you've installed the mdm-extra-themes package and then changed the login manager theme. I have not tested the extra themes in that package, so cannot say whether they work properly, although they should. They're from upstream and meant just for fun, of course. You just have to test and see which ones work well and which ones don't, if you want to tweak your system in that way. Any ones you find that don't really work, let me know here and I'll just remove them from the package.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:44 pm 

Thanks Stephen

Unfortunately when i write

sudo apt-get install --reinstall uberstudent-xfce-default-settings-enduser

in the terminal, it says that it can't find the package..

So i'm stuck on that step.. and can't restore the UberStudent session :(

Any idea?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:57 am 

Are you using UberStudent 3.0? :?: :?:

If so, I assure you the package is in the repository and installable, and that If your system is not showing it, you must have uninstalled, well, most of the core uberstudent packages from your system.

If you have a prior version of UberStudent, you really need to update!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:07 am 

I think i will update as soon as I can :)

Can i directly upgrade? or it's better if I format the unit and install the new version of uberstudent?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:28 am 

The repository is new to 3.0, so no in-place upgrade is possible. :|

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!