It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:42 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post subject: Gnome 3 and UberStudent?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:28 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hi Everyone,

I really like the package so far that UberStudent has to offer but I've grown a bit partial to Gnome 3. I've been trying to get it to install but with no luck. I have added he gnome ppa, as well as installed the gnome-shell package but it does not show up on my list of available sessions. Wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot?

Best,

Chris

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:31 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Hi Chris, and welcome. :)

I dislike GNOME 3 for a variety of reasons, which I've made very public in the technical press, so have not even tested it for a good while.

Are you saying that GNOME does not display as an option at the default login screen in UberStudent (which is the mdm login manger used in Linux Mint)? That's rather surprising, if so. :?:

Also if so, you might try installing lightdm from the Synaptic Package Manager. During installation, a prompt will ask if you wish to make lightdm the default login manager. Choose "Yes" with your arrow and Enter keys. Reboot when completed. It won't mesh with the UberStudent default theme, but GNOME should show up as a session option. Let us know the result. :geek: If you dislike the result, you can re-install mdm from Synaptic, choosing to again make it default at the prompt.

If the GNOME session fails to display as a session option after installing lightdm as default, there's probably something amiss with your GNOME installation. In that case, mdm was probably fine all along. If it does display in lightdm, it's probably a bug that should be fixed in either mdm or GNOME. Again, let us know the result.

For UberStudent 4.0, I'll be evaluating the new "Classic Mode" released with the recent GNOME 3.8.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:29 am 
Established UberStudent User

Did you manage to install GNOME 3? How did you do it? I dont know what happens when you install a new desktop environment, will the file structure from the xfce still be there somewhere or will all applications be in one folder somewhere?

Post subject: Re: Gnome3 & UberStudent
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:59 am 
UberStudent Staff

Martin N Brischetto wrote:
I dont know what happens when you install a new desktop environment, will the file structure from the xfce still be there somewhere or will all applications be in one folder somewhere?

Most applications dwell in the /usr/bin folder; they will remain there regardless of which desktop you install.

Code:
damion@uberstudent:~$ man hier | grep -A2 '/usr/bin$'
       /usr/bin
This is the primary directory for executable programs.  Most programs executed by normal users which are not needed for booting or for repairing the system and which are not installed locally should be placed in this directory.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!