UberStudent Forums

Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:32 am 
I have a proposal for you. I really really love E as desktop and window manager,but I am quite ignorant about installations and it gives me some issues when I install a new desktop out of the distributions...
Please, could you provide in the future a E17 bodhilinux like version of your UberStudent? You could call it UberEStudent or UberBodhi. I know it is an uncommon petition. I also asked for it in the facebook bodhilinux page, but I am not an expert on Linux and when I have tried to install the E desktop , e.g., in mint or Ubuntu, I got problems. Bodhilinux have a very interesting and simple working, even its software centre is very easy to use BUT it has not your applications, impressive and many other additions I do not know how to do... I do not know how hard can it be to prepare a E17 (stable) version of Uberstudent, but could you provide it in the future? I would enjoy the eye candy E17 (art-like, beautiful) desktop plus your education software x1000!!!!

Thank you in advance...

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
 Post subject: Re: E17 for Uberstudent?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:34 pm 
UberStudent Staff

Juan Francisco Gonzalez wrote:
I really really love E as desktop and window manager... Please, could you provide in the future a E17 bodhilinux like version of your UberStudent? I am not an expert on Linux and when I have tried to install the E desktop , e.g., in mint or Ubuntu, I got problems. I do not know how hard can it be to prepare a E17 (stable) version of Uberstudent, but could you provide it in the future?

E17, as a low-resource and graphically sophisticated desktop environment, certainly fits UberStudent's design goal of being able to run on as many computers as possible while still maximizing for features. As such, it is a good candidate for the desktop environment in UberStudent. Development time is limited, so every additional desktop environment developed for UberStudent subtracts from the time that can go into the default desktop environment, and thusly the quality of the default desktop suffers. Due to the finiteness of development time, UberStudent should ideally have only a single default desktop environment and possibly a second low-resource option, and as such your proposal should probably be "I propose that E17 replace XFCE or LXDE as a desktop environment in UberStudent for the following reasons...".

(P.S. Your desktop environment request should have gone into the Desktop Environments forum, so that is where I moved it.)

Post subject: E17 UBERSTUDENT
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:10 pm 
I would prefer E17 to be the main default of Uberstudent, just in a flavor like Bodhilinux from the beginning! It would rock!!!!

If not possible, I do not know if it is "very difficult" to add the EFL to this wonderful project, but I would definitevely recommend the buy of such a system!

And congratulations for the effort and the project...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:52 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

I've considered an Enlightenment Edition and have not ruled it out.

But there's a reason that you don't typically see Enlightenment as an edition among others in a distribution's slate of releases. Just making an Enlightenment theme for UberStudent would take a week of full-time work...knowing my perfectionist streak, easily two weeks, and I'm probably underestimating. :lol: Compared to, say, a lightweight LXDE Edition, Enlightenment is very labor intensive.

You mentioned Bodhi Linux. It's very not cool that Bodhi does not make their source packages freely available. :evil:

I'm game to have an UberStudent release with literally every desktop environment in existence, even ones I personally very much dislike, keeping in mind that the main UberStudent releases, one normal-weight and one lightweight, must be the most stable and user-friendly releases possible.

Help Wanted. There's no human way I can make every possible UberStudent edition on my own. If you want a certain custom UberStudent release, positions leading such a sub-project are available. :)

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!