Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:10 pm

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

Post subject: And now MATE 64bit
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:29 am 
We figured that after the mess with XFCE, and not being able to get it back up anymore, we decided to dump XFCE and go for MATE instead. Everything worked fine, (64bit, I may want to precise) Installed updates, downgraded to download ia32-libs, reupgraded, etc. And after that, when I shut it down and booted it back up the very next day, the log in screen showed back up, no desktop environment. Since this was Gnome based, we startx'ed, and nothing worked. We added 'exec mate-session' to the ~/.xinitrc file, and startx'ed again, and we are able to get in, but with no sound, just like XFCE problem.

Do you have any clue what to do? This is the 3rd time this happened, with both desktop environment. Please let me know what to do, try, or avoid next time. Or if you have any questions, please let me know

Thanks

Mark

Post subject: Re: And now MATE 64bit
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Obviously, if you place new hidden files in the Home directory that override the default settings, you cannot expect that the default settings will still function as if they have not been overridden. That sounds exactly like what you are doing and what you are expecting. :idea: In Linux, $HOME is both read and rendered before anything at root, by design.

I'm not clear on why you're trying to boot with startx rather than the XFCE or MATE way to boot the session and the desktop environment with its required components.

I understand and strongly encourage experimentation, with the caveat that one can expect only experimental results therefrom. Things will inevitably break, but you can see why by understanding actions of the source, and thereby learn. That's an integral part of achieving computer fluency via Open Source. :ugeek:

XFCE uses xfce-session; MATE, mate-session. These call startx as just one of a variety of components needed to boot the system, desktop environment, and dozens of crucial components thereof. It is the .dmrc file in your home directory that starts either of the two sessions, not a .xinitrc file in home you specifically create (which, because it is an older method, very probably overrides the .dmrc).

If you use only startx, the fully expected behavior would be to get a session that ignores all the other components called by xfce-session or mate-session. That sounds like exactly what you are describing. It's to be expected. This is to say that if you wish to boot an x-session only, use only the x-session method of doing so; if you wish to boot a desktop environment session, use that desktop environment 's method of doing so, XFCE or MATE in this case. You'll boot exactly what you boot. and nothing more. ;)

You might enjoy opening a terminal and typing, without prefixing it with sudo, the following:

Code:
apt-get source xfce-session
Or in MATE,
Code:
apt-get source mate-session

(You may need to first enable the source repositories in Synaptic Package Manager > Settings > Repositories > Other Software before doing that.)

It will download the source files into your home directory...where you can open them in a text editor and have a look around to see all they do. :) :geek: :shock: You won't upon first look comprehend everything the code is dictating, of course, but you'll gain more understanding the more you look. ;) :D

Meanwhile, the fix to the issues you mentioned is simple: Boot XFCE in the XFCE way, and MATE in the MATE way. UberStudent does so, right out-of-the box. 8-)

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:26 pm 
Thank you for your quick reply Mr.Ewen.

I didn't experiment til after it stopped working. We got it working before, and we didn't change any of the default configuration, and the next day, when we restarted the computer, there was nothing; no MATE, no XFCE that started up. So then we decided to mess around with how to get it to boot up, hence why I tried adding exec to the xinitrc file.

The only experimentation that I've done, prior to it no longer booting up properly, was downgrading, and then upgrading again (was necessary for the ia32-libs and the xorg to work properly, as in, update) which is where I believe the problem is, when I downgraded and reupgraded the xorg file. Any idea on if this is potentially the problem? If it is, do you know of a way I could get a copy of the file that originally came with uberstudent?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

The files that propagate the home directory upon first boot are located at /etc/skel/

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:25 pm 
I deleted all of ~ and replaced it with /etc/skel (copied, cp -r /etc/skel ~) and nothing worked.

I think I may have located the error, and I'm curious as to how to fix it (If you don't mind me asking you a few questions, this is more for learning purposes)

When I got Uberstudent, xorg, xorg-server (I think), and gwoffice wasn't upgrading properly. To fix gwoffice, I added an elementary/os repository, and for the xorg file, I wasn't entirely certain. I skipped out on it, and figured I would just leave it that way. I then tried to download ia32-libs (I am using a 64bit Uberstudent) and they were missing a few packages in order for me to properly install it. Things like skype, steam, some games, Wine etc wouldn't download because it was missing these packages.

I tried out a solution I found:

vi /etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
Pin: release a=precise*
Pin-Priority: 2012

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

And that worked! ia32-labs were fixed and downloaded and working, and xorg was upgraded as well, but ever since, I am not able to log in the correct way, nor am I able to get sound, nor can I shutdown properly (It's grayed out)

Any ideas on how to get the initial xorg installation back?