Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:49 am

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:10 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Cinnamon is not really mature enough yet for anything but a very basic desktop. I'll look carefully at the next release, though.

I very much dislike GNOME 3, even in fallback mode. In fact, I spent a month trying to make an edition of UberStudent with it before ditching it for XFCE and MATE. If you want to know my thoughts on the matter, see here.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:20 pm 
Established UberStudent User

But if I may say,

The latest one, Cinnamon 1.8 is a hoot, has many useful improvements, and is very stable. I am a loyal Linux Mint user with MATE DE and GNOME 2 before it. So I think the (my) bias (if there was any) is minimal here.

Here's the link:
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2361

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:38 pm 
New UberStudent User

I agree - I'm loving Mint 1.8 and will be moving one of my systems to Linux Mint 15 with Cinnamon, as it is very stable, fast, and surprisingly low on resources. Previously I had issues with Cinnamon taxing one of my CPU cores to 100%, but that seems to be fixed now. I have to say -- one of the reasons I moved to Linux is because it is "fun" to customize/personalize and Cinnamon, KDE, and (yes, even) Unity have some essence of "fun" in them whereas LXDE, XFCE, and Mate...well, not so much for me anyway.

Just my two cents.
Glen

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:33 pm 

Cool!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:59 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

For those who want the latest version of Cinnamon, you can add the ppa's by typing
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

It's already in version 1.8.6 today :-)

Let us know if it is working, Glen.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:44 am 

I'll give Cinnamon 1.8 a look shortly. I'm building a test build of UberStudent 3.0 Xfce literally right now. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:45 am 

I've been going over Cinnamon 1.8, the latest, for the past hour or so.

Here was a real killer from the get-go: It does not follow freedesktop.org specs for menus, specifically for sub-menus. And it's not the menu plugin, or I'd have fixed it already. If you're interested in looking around at source code, the file cinnamon-app-system.c is the cause. It's a major thing: Cinnamon systematically suppresses sub-menu support because - why??? :?:

If you'd like to quickly see the above in action, just right-click over the menu in Cinnamon and go to Edit menu, and then add a folder and then an application in to it...and see what happens to what you made.

In point of fact, not a single one of these fundamental freedesktop.org sub-category standards is honored in Cinnamon. This is a major shortcoming, to say the least. I'm not interested in dumping UberStudent users into one single Education menu to wade through 40+ applications with no organization except alphabetization. How utterly sloppy that would be, in fact. :shock:

Here was another killer from the get-go: The "Add applets" to the panel function has a tab, "Get more online." The first two I tried, among the most popular, would not install. A reputable YouTube review I watched found the same thing. I did eventually get another applet to install, but Cinnamon crashed and would not start again except in fallback mode while the applet was in the panel. This was within just the first hour of using Cinnamon. I had to personally be geeky enough, know enough, to remove the applet manually to get Cinnamon to start again. That's not an experience I'd wish to give a new Linux adopter...except if I were a Microsoft or Apple executive. :lol: Crowd-sourced software is a powerful model, but it would seem this is being done without enough elders at the town gate.

In point of fact, Cinnamon as of its full May 2013 version 1.8 release is beta-quality software. It's own developers have repeatedly and rightfully admitted as much within developer circles without explicitly using that language - a mistake, I think. Even it's backend is admittedly not yet stable, for example.

Cinnamon is fine for someone who just wants to surf the Internet, check email, and do a few other things here and there while potentially devoting a lot of time to keep their system in a continually working state. But it's just not yet suited for a serious and stable workstation, as UberStudent aims to be.

Although Cinnamon is promising, UberStudent must prefer stability, dependability, and traditional usability over the novel when it comes to such a major thing as the basic desktop environments it uses; and it will. That was my take the last time I tried Cinnamon, too. So I'd not look for a Cinnamon version of UberStudent until Cinnamon matures a lot more.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:08 pm 

Stephen Ewen wrote:
It does not follow freedesktop.org specs for menus, specifically, for sub-menus.

Cinnamon crashed and would not start again except in fallback mode while the applet was in the panel.

So I'd not look for a Cinnamon version of UberStudent until Cinnamon matures a lot more. It's fine for someone who just wants to surf the Internet, check email, and do a few other things here and there, but it's just not yet suited for a serious workstation. That was my take the last time I tried Cinnamon, too.

I truly can see the point you're saying. And I wholly agree.
And it's really fun to see that US3 finally arrived. Will install and use it, and if it's stable in my box, it will be my primary OS. I am a loyal MATE user, but had used XFCE at some point in the past before MATE existed and after the GNOME 3 debacle. I found my GNOME 3 experience horrifying too.

Stephen Ewen wrote:
That's not an experience I'd wish to give a new Linux adopter...except if I were a Microsoft or Apple executive. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!