Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:33 pm

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:51 am 
New UberStudent User

I really like Uberstudent. A few months ago I checked out the 1.0 version via live cd (on a Dell 64-bit system) and really liked it. I recently downloaded and did a clean installation of the 2.0 XFCE 32-bit version onto my Lenovo S10-2 netbook which I use at school and I'm having some major problems.

Everything works fine after the initial installation for 20 minutes or so, Then the title bars disappear in all of the apps and the window menu and buttons all disappear in the lower panel except the show desktop button which doesn't work at all and the trash can. I've tried logging in and out and the titles bars are still gone. I've tried adding new window buttons and menus to the lower panel and I've tried a complete reinstallaion of the OS and the same problems occur.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:25 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

This issue, an upstream one, is mentioned in the README, copied below:

Quote:
Very rarely, if you exit XFCE without first exiting all programs AND choose "Last Session" when booting into XFCE the next time, the XFCE4 Windows Manager, xfwm4, *may* fail to load on startup. You'll know this happened because the window frames on your programs will have dissapeared. The workaround is to press F1 on your keyboard to call the Guake terminal and type in the following and hit Enter on your keyboard:

xfwm4

It should be fixed for not only that session but those that follow, unless you make the same error again. In that case, follow this same workaround.

If you exit with LOTS of programs still running, it makes this more likely.

The immediate solution is stated above...and the permanent workaround is to either exit your programs before logging out, or un-tick 'save session' when logging out.

The idea of XFCE to save a session and open all programs you had open is a nice one but it just doesn't work well yet. It seems to be able to handle leaving one program open. I wish they'd just have stripped it out. :|

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:01 pm 
New UberStudent User

One down, two to go....

Thanks. That fixed that problem.

Next problem...

I am using a Lenovo S10-2 Netbook I bought in Mexico with a Latin American keyboard layout. I have tried all of the L.A. layout options and still cannot get the keys mapped correctly.

The last problem (so far) is with the wireless (Broadcom STA), but can't address that until I get the keyboard working properly.

Thanks for your assistance!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:17 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

You should first try the native solution before installing any proprietary drivers.

Open Synaptic Package manager from Applications > System > System Administration and search for bcmwl-kernel-source and install it along with the kernel headers it wants; then reboot into its preferred 3.2 kernel headers. Your particular wireless should work at this point.

If not, while in the 3.2 kernel, install the Broadcom STA wireless driver from Applications > System > Additional Drivers and then boot into that kernel to use it.

As for the keyboard, which specific keys seems to be the problem? I'm afraid I find no information on this issue with your very rare laptop, even when searching in Spanish and limiting my searches by regions; so, you may have to map your keyboard by hand. That's not an UberStudent but a basic Linux issue. Caveat emptor: buying a bargain laptop may not be an actual bargain. ;)

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!