Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:04 pm

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:39 am 
New UberStudent User

I read about UberStudent and I thought that I would give it a try using VirtualBox from my Linux Mint install. I downloaded the iso: "uberstudent-2.0.4.2-mate-i386.iso" and created a .vdi image to install onto. I found that whenever I would try to boot it up, all it would do is just sit there at the boot screen stating there was 1 second remaining until boot. I edited the boot options, removing "quiet splash --" from the boot command, then it output what was going on, it stated it needed a processor with PAE support. I configured Virtualbox to do so, and everything booted up fine. Here is a link describing how to configure virtualbox appropriately. Hopefully this will help others, who are running into problems.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 am 
Whoot Whoot! People using Virtualbox!

I use Virtualbox as well, but I use ISOs. May I ask why you use vdi?
As for the the PAE problem, you have enabled it in the Virtualbox settings under advanced, correct?
And if so, have you at all gotten a popup from virtualbox saying there was a problem and just dismissed it?

Have you gotten it to install? Or will it not even boot up the live cd? Also do you mind describing how you created a vdi image of it? I'll try on my end and see if I get the same results

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:53 pm 
New UberStudent User

Mark Marks wrote:
Whoot Whoot! People using Virtualbox!

I use Virtualbox as well, but I use ISOs. May I ask why you use vdi?
As for the the PAE problem, you have enabled it in the Virtualbox settings under advanced, correct?
And if so, have you at all gotten a popup from virtualbox saying there was a problem and just dismissed it?

Have you gotten it to install? Or will it not even boot up the live cd? Also do you mind describing how you created a vdi image of it? I'll try on my end and see if I get the same results

I did manage to get it to boot yes, I actually posted this because it was a problem that frustrated me and I thought I'd preemptively share the solution with the community. As for getting it to install, actually I haven't tried to do so yet, I was playing around with it in live mode with the .iso attached to the virtualbox image. I'll try to install tonight to make sure that works. As for why I used .vdi that was simply because it was the default format.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:43 pm 
Ohh cool! Alright, thanks for the info! ^_^ Sorry, I was a bit confused, I thought you were looking for a solution. Thanks for sharing.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!