It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:48 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:50 pm 
Established UberStudent User

Hi Stephen,

Hope you are doing well.

I am trying to use the retrieve meta data from PDF feature on Zotero, but I get the following error

"To use this feature, you must first install the PDF tools in the Search pane of the Zotero preferences."

However when I go to the search pane in the preferences tab there is no option to install the said tool.

According to the Zotero help wiki the preferences tab should like like the screenshot provided in the link below[img]
https://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/search

Can you help?

Screen Shots attached

Thanks

Dinesh

Attachments:
Zotero Preferences.png
Zotero Preferences.png [ 56.12 KiB | Viewed 5547 times ]
Zotero Error.png
Zotero Error.png [ 134.83 KiB | Viewed 5547 times ]

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:00 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Thanks for letting me know about this.

I'm kind of stumped at how that would happen as the Zotero PDF utilities are placed by two different methods: via the Zotero profile folder at /opt/zotero/defaults/profile/zotero/, which is seeded into the .zotero home directory when the directory does not exist but the program is run the first time, and via /etc/skel from a preexisting zotero home directory there whenever a user account is first made. So, they are placed in either of those conditions: when the profile exist and when it does not exist, one primary method and one fallback method.

Still, I'm right now uploading a new package of zotero-standalone into the repository, zotero-standalone_4.0.28~uberstudent4. I added a third fallback method to place the PDF utilities, via the zotero startup script. If the PDF utilities do not exit in the zotero profile--and, again, they should be there by one of the two possible methods above--then they will get placed there at zotero startup by its script. See the first conditional:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Normally, a zotero profile should be copied over from /etc/skel during account creation. Still, get the actual path to the profile in case it was deleted.
ZPROFILE=$(echo $HOME/.zotero/zotero/*.default)

# Normally, these get placed from either /etc/skel or, as a failsafe, from /opt/zotero/defaults/profile/zotero. Still, as another failsafe, force copy over the PDF utils if they do not exist for some reason.
if [ ! -f "$ZPROFILE"/zotero/pdfutils-3.04.put ]; then
    cp -f /opt/zotero/defaults/profile/zotero/* "$ZPROFILE"/zotero
    chmod 777 "$ZPROFILE"/zotero/pdfinfo.sh
    echo "DO NOT REMOVE THIS FILE. It tells your UberStudent system that the Zotero PDF utilities, versions 3.04, have been placed." > "$ZPROFILE"/zotero/pdfutils-3.04.put
fi

# We make a conveinient link to the Zotero database if the directories are in English, to facilitate ease of backup and to make the obscure plain to new users.
if [ ! -h "$HOME/Research/Zotero-Profile" ] && [ ! -f "$HOME/Research/.no-zotero-link" ] && [ -f "$HOME/.home-prep/firstrun-en_us" ] && [ -d "$HOME/.zotero" ]; then
   ln -s "$HOME/.zotero/zotero" "$HOME/Research/Zotero-Profile"
   echo "You can delete this file after you read it, if you wish. The Zotero symlink contained in this folder points to your Zotero profile, which is a hidden folder located at /home/yourusername/.zotero - you can toggle viewing of hidden folders in Linux by simply hitting Ctrl+H in your file browser. For your convenience, the link was made in UberStudent when you ran Zotero. You should make redundant backups of your Zotero profile, as well as use Zotero Sync. You can configure Dropbox, for example, to follow symlinks, meaning that your Zotero profile will be automatically synced to Dropbox. If you delete the Zotero profile symlink, it will appear again, unless you create a plain hidden file in your Research folder named .no-zotero-link" > "$HOME/Research/about-zotero-link.txt"
   /opt/zotero/run-zotero.sh
else
   /opt/zotero/run-zotero.sh
fi

Simply exit Zotero Standalone, run the Update Manager to get the new package (plus a whole lot more, I just released the UberStudent 4.3 upgrade into the repository a few hours ago!), and then run Zotero Standalone again. When you again check to see if the PDF utilities are installed, they most definitely should be there. Let me know if otherwise.

Does this fix the issue?

By the way, what program is that running from your panel tray?
Attachment:
clip.png
clip.png [ 722 Bytes | Viewed 5508 times ]

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:45 pm 
Established UberStudent User

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the fix. I received the update as well as the new version of Uberstudent.

I ran Zotero standalone, and this time when I attempted the retrieve metadata from PDF it started the process but is giving some error (screen shot attached). I will try it with a few more PDF's to see if I am getting it or if it is a one off thing. In the worse case that it does not work I will switch to Mendeley which seems to be working without a problem at the moment.

Also as a follow up to an earlier request I had posted, any chance you could include RQDA an R package to do qualitative analysis. It isn't available on the Ubuntu software repository and needs to be downloaded and installed from the developer page directly, something I am not too good at doing. Would be great if you could include it provided you are satisfied when you test it. Link to said package http://rqda.r-forge.r-project.org/

The program running in my panel tray is Google Hangouts. It is just a browser extension that appears everytime I launch Chrome (I think).

Thanks for all the support and prompt resolutions in 2015 and here's wishing you and the Uberstudent fam a Happy & Prosperous 2016.

Regards

Dinesh

Attachments:
Zotero Error PDF.png
Zotero Error PDF.png [ 138.66 KiB | Viewed 5488 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:51 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Is your computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!