Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:18 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hi thanks for the great software.
I have just swapped from Cicero to Aristotle, and it seems that Zotero cannot read attached PDFs any more. When I click on a Zotero PDF attachment, I get the following message:
Could not display "/home/paul/.mozilla/firefox/...51 Trent on the Eucharist.pdf". The location is not a folder
I have tried googling the problem and found the same problem discussed here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1729680
It seems that others have cured this error ( tho not linked to zotero) by removing ¨exo-utils¨ .
I have removed exo-utils but still have the problem.
Any Ideas?

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:27 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

First off, let's give you an immediate workaround.

In Zotero in UberStudent, you can highlight a PDF or other file and hit the SPACE bar to view the file in Quickview mode.

Now, let's give you an immediate and hopefully permanent fix:

Hit F1 on your keyboard to drop down Guake terminal and input the following:

Code:
xdg-mime default atril.desktop application/pdf

Then hit Enter and let it run.

Did that fix the issue?

That said, I cannot replicate the issue. Opening PDF files, both as stored and linked, works fine. See the attached screenshot.

I am using the Full Edition of UberStudent 2.0.4.1, booted in to XFCE.

If you can tell me exactly the steps you are taking that produces the error, including how the PDF file was attached, the edition of UberStudent (the name of the ISO you installed from), and which desktop you are booted in to, maybe I can replicate it after all.

Also, have you installed any additional PDF viewers besides what comes as default?

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:51 am 
New UberStudent User

Thanks for the speedy response.
The space bar trick works fine.
the command line doesn´t seem to do anything. It instantly give me back my prompt( with no messages at all), and there is no change to the error message when I try to access a pdf in zotero.
I note that the the error message refers to a path that doesn´t seem to exist ( or is it a hidden file/filepath?) What I mean is that there is no folder /home/paul/.mozilla when I go look in the home/paul directory.
As is probably evident I am not a computer whizz, and I don´t know how the PDF was attached. I store them on the Zotero storage space, though I have some local backup copies somewhere on my disk. Since I formatted my disk before installing Aristotle, I presume Zotero was empty and must have got all the data back by syncing with the Zotero server.
If it is relevant I very recently changed from storing my PDFs on JungleDisk, to storing them on the Zotero server ( paying for extra space) But this was working OK before swapping to Aristotle.
My iso was called uberstudent-2.0-desktop-amd64.iso.
I´m pretty sure was booted in to MATE (XFCE loses you the un-do-without-able ¨notes¨ tab on file properties, I discovered!)
No I haven´t installed any other PDF viewers.
I will now close down and restart my machine so I tell you for sure what steps lead to the error

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:17 am 
New UberStudent User

OK, I have established as follows:
a) that I can no longer log in to XFCE - I just get a grey screen ( is that to do with the files I removed perhaps?)
b) the actions that produce the error are: Fire up, choose MATE for this session, open Firefox, click on zotero icon bottom right, mouse over a PDF file showing in Zotero, right click, choose ( first) option ¨view PDF¨, get error message as before.
c) If I do the same but choose ¨view on line¨, the pdf is opened.
d) if i do ¨show file¨ i get the file path paul/.mozilla/firefox// uberstudent.(etc).../zotero/storage/QMIKXHPW.
e) if i choose view online, and then choose ¨save to zotero¨, the newly saved version still gives me the same error when I try to access it.
It´s 03.15 here in Belgium, and I have to go in to the university tommorrow, so I shan´t check back for a little while....
thanks for the help

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:22 am 

paul/.mozilla/firefox// uberstudent.(etc).../zotero/storage/QMIKXHPW

Do you see the two forward slashes after firefox? There's your problem. Or was that a typo?

When you un-installed exo-utils, you also removed the entire XFCE desktop; :shock: so, that's why you get a grey screen.

To get it back run,

Code:
sudo apt-get install exo-utils orage thunar thunar-archive-plugin thunar-dropbox-plugin thunar-media-tags-plugin thunar-thumbnailers thunar-volman xfce4 xfce4-battery-plugin xfce4-clipman-plugin xfce4-cpufreq-plugin xfce4-cpugraph-plugin xfce4-datetime-plugin xfce4-dict xfce4-diskperf-plugin xfce4-indicator-plugin xfce4-linelight-plugin xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-messenger-plugin xfce4-mixer xfce4-mount-plugin xfce4-netload-plugin xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-panel xfce4-places-plugin xfce4-power-manager-plugins xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin xfce4-sensors-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin xfce4-terminal xfce4-timer-plugin xfce4-verve-plugin xfce4-wavelan-plugin xfce4-weather-plugin xfce4-xfapplet-plugin xfce4-xkb-plugin xfdesktop4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:13 am 
New UberStudent User

I´m afraid it was indeed a typo posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=75#
I entered that filepath manually.
But please don´t use up your precious time on this. I can access the PDFs with ¨view online¨, and if no-one else has the problem, it must be non-Uberstudent related.
But if anyone else has the problem, and solves it - please post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:15 am 

SHORT ANSWER TO FIX THE ISSUE:

Install Adobe Reader from the UberStudent Applications menu,
which just installs Adobe Reader plus embedded fonts.

Detail and directions follow. You can right now skip to the STEP-BY-STEP FIX section, below, if you wish.

I was able to replicate the issue, when I understood you were using Zotero inside specifically Firefox in MATE.

The issue appears to be limited to when Zotero is functioning inside specifically Firefox on any system where both conditions #1 and #2 are true:

(1) x-scheme-handler/file is set in local mimetypes (/home/yourusername/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list), which is a common occurrence;

(2) Firefox lacks a default PDF viewer in its own mime handler, mimeTypes.rdf, located in its own profile folder in /home/yourusername/.mozilla/firefox.

NOTE: This issue does not affect Zotero Standalone when working with Chrome in either XFCE or MATE, as tested on UberStudent version 2.0.4.1.

Looking quickly, it appears Zotero, when inside Firefox, first expects the PDF reader to be one that has been set in Firefox's mime settings to open within Firefox, and when it fails to find one, falls back to xdg-open in Linux to handle a PDF by it's location. Unfortunately, xdg-open and the freedesktop standards upon which it is based has issues of incompleteness, due to the balkanization of Linux desktop environments (developers like the standards but don't yet fully follow them). This has resulted in a conflict with the mime type x-scheme-handler/file set by exo-open, which is set and required by XFCE. The error you're seeing is the result.

Unfortunately, too, ever since Firefox moved to using SQL, it makes it more difficult for developers to straightforwardly set the default PDF reader to an external one in its normal preferences. For users, it first needs to detect an internal one. That's an issue for upstream Firefox, in my view.

HERE'S THE STEP-BY-STEP FIX:

1. Exit Firefox

2. Install Adobe Reader, preferably from the Install Adobe Reader icon in the UberStudent Applications Menu at Graphics -> Viewers

3. When asked during the Adobe Reader installation, choose to make it the default PDF handler (it won't actually do that everywhere in your local account(s), but will in Firefox)

4. Re-open Firefox, then open Zotero inside Firefox.

5. To test, open a PDF file attached to a bibliography entry. The PDF will open inside Adobe Reader inside Firefox!

6. Now, if you wish, you can change the default PDF Reader for Zotero in Firefox from Adobe Reader to Document Viewer, and Zotero when it is running inside Firefox will honor it. To do that go to Edit -> Preferences -> Applications -> PDF document (which now appears there, after installing Adobe Reader), and then in the selector to the right choose "Use Document Viewer."

Done.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!