Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:58 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:05 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Hi UberStudent community!
After completing my internship I returned home to upgrade my desktop PC to the brand new UberStudent 4.0. Everything seems nice and very well integrated at first(as expected :)) however a few reboots later I noticed something that made me lose my temper. I realized that something is constantly replacing my configuration files with the ones present in /usr/share/uberstudent in each reboot. Such files include but are not limited to:
  • mdm configuration
  • default-www-browser (which reverts to unset and drives me absolutely crazy)
  • chromium's settings

how do I stop this and get my sanity back.
Thank you very much!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:49 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Various scripts in UberStudent--dozens of them, actually--do indeed run at boot to ensure that the system works consistently and stably. None are located at /usr/share/uberstudent/, however, but at /etc/uberstudent/adjustments/ and are triggered via init.d.

Most of the scripts are aimed at overwriting unpredictable upstream changes that can potentially introduce some system instability, something not at all wanted in a production environment, while some of the scripts push back against mime bloat, auto-fix common issues (some big, some small) if they exist, increase openness of the system, and ensure that some common Xfce annoyances remain squashed across updates.

That said, nothing should affect your personal Chromium settings, because whatever settings you configure are placed in your home directory. Chromium settings in your home directory override settings placed at root by UberStudent. If you can be more specific about any unwanted behavior you are experiencing, I can investigate further.

If you overwrite the default MDM theme in UberStudent, it will be overwritten on the next boot. I did this because a great many MDM themes are unsuitable for stable booting in a production environment (stability over eye candy, thanks). If this is the issue you are experiencing and yet wish to replace the default MDM theme with another, let me know. I'll let you know a few simple steps to take to disable the overwriting. This may, however, introduce instability to your system. If I am amiss in whatever issue you are facing, please be more specific in your description of it so I can better investigate the matter.

The battle with default-www-browser because of the installation of more than one browser is an annoyance I am aware of. The issue is not specific to UberStudent. I've honestly not yet unraveled the issue fully but aim to fix it by default in the next release later this year. You can probably fix it now by following these directions: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/s ... mand-line/

If I've misunderstood any of your issues, let me know, explaining further.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:17 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Hi Stephen:)
Thank you for your quick reply. Then I shall list my lssues so that you can help me out.
The lssue with mdm ls that I couldn't manage to get auto login working. I set it to my account but whenever I reboot the computer it sets it to uberstudent, an account that doesn't exist. The session does not auto login.
In chrome even though the pepper flash player plugin is installed I configure the chromium config file to use it instead and when properly it uses it instead. After each reboot the chromium config file is reset and adobe is used instead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:08 am 

Please see How To Automatically Log In to UberStudent for the steps you need to take to do that.

I was able to replicate the pepperflash issue. It took me a bit to sort through. It appears that Chromium does not automatically detect pepperflash because the script that starts it does not look for it in the place that the upstream Debian package for pepperflash-nonfree puts it. :roll: You can find a lot of Ubuntu users with trouble getting pepperflash to work with Chromium.

I have created a package that should make it work and have added it to the UberStudent repository. It adds a flag to chromium so that it looks for pepperflash and picks it up before it starts.

To install the package pepperflashplugin-config, please do the following:

1. Exit Chromium
2. Run the following lines in a terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-config

I have tested this on a clean install of UberStudent and it works. Please verify for me that it is working on your system by doing the following:

1. Open Chromium, place chrome://plugins/ in the address bar and hit enter, and on the top-right click 'Details."
2. Scroll down and under Adobe Flash Player you should see the new path being used, /usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so. It will still say Adobe and version 11.2. r999, but that is not true, a leftover from Chromium's Preferences file in your home directory.

Did that fix the issue for you? :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:18 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

I've did all your suggestions and rebooted. Now everything works perfect, chromium, mdm and default-www-browser.
Thank you very much Stephen :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:37 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

OK, something new has been happening lately, I don't know why :?
The Master Playback volume is maximized each reboot. Taking into account I use my speakers with volume maxed, can you imagine the noise I hear each time I boot up :(
I did not install any software change that may have caused this, maybe this was introduced by some update through trusty? I'm not sure since I keep my volume mute usually, but I'd say this has been the case for at least 1 week.
If the Uberstudent startup scripts have not changed lately, this probably has nothing to do with them :D however I'll continue to share all my startup related issues here :D
Thank you, :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:24 am 

Nothing has changed on UberStudent's end in this regard. After account creation, your Xfce sound configurations are run from your home directory and are not overwritten by anything that any UberStudnet package does or places. You can see the simple XML file that controls Xfce sound by opening a terminal and running:

Code:
leafpad $HOME/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-mixer.xml

You can try going in Setting menu > Administration > Sound Settings and tweaking your settings. Whatever settings/changes you make there will be written immediately to the file I just pointed you to, but you may need to log out and log back in to see if they hold.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:33 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Yes, I changed the sound setting from there, we'll see if it works out.
Interestingly, the file you addressed only included labels to be shown and did not have any volume numbers at all, however? Maybe that is the problem? Here are the contents of that file:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<channel name="xfce4-mixer" version="1.0">
  <property name="sound-card" type="string" value="HDAATISBAlsamixer"/>
  <property name="sound-cards" type="empty">
    <property name="HDAATISBAlsamixer" type="array">
      <value type="string" value="Master"/>
      <value type="string" value="Headphone"/>
      <value type="string" value="PCM"/>
      <value type="string" value="Front"/>
      <value type="string" value="Front Mic"/>
      <value type="string" value="Front Mic Boost"/>
      <value type="string" value="Line-in"/>
      <value type="string" value="Line Boost"/>
      <value type="string" value="IEC958 Default PCM"/>
      <value type="string" value="Rear Mic"/>
      <value type="string" value="Rear Mic Boost"/>
    </property>
    <property name="CaptureMonitorofRS780HDMIAudioRadeonHD3000SeriesDigitalStereoHDMIPulseAudioMixer" type="array">
    </property>
    <property name="CaptureMonitorofBuiltinAudioAnalogStereoPulseAudioMixer" type="array">
    </property>
    <property name="CaptureBuiltinAudioAnalogStereoPulseAudioMixer" type="array">
    </property>
  </property>
  <property name="window-height" type="int" value="495"/>
  <property name="window-width" type="int" value="1148"/>
</channel>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:42 am 

The volume level is controlled by files in $HOME/.config/pulse/ and they change on every shutdown. It's not something you can set once and forget. However, if your system, like mine, has dual sound cards, you can configure which one is being used in the Xfce sound dialog.

I myself cannot replicate the issue you described using a fully updated UberStudent on any of the seven sound cards at my disposal; so, whenever there is any issue I simply cannot replicate, it becomes complicated. :| The sound level I set when I boot out with is the sound level I return too on all of my systems.

But first things first:

If you are right now amid a semester at school, fiddling with your sound is not something you really want to do too much--really, I'd just leave well enough alone until you have a school break. Instead, go to Setting menu > Administration > Session and Startup > Application Autostart and simply untick "Startup sound." That way you are not daily waking up everyone near you with a full-volume cool sound at each boot. :lol: :geek:

That said, try installing pavucontrol and setting the volume from there and let me know if it makes a difference.

Code:
sudo apt-get install pavucontrol

Code:
pavucontrol

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!