Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:54 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hello!

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years, and just discovered UberStudent last week. As a grad student in the social sciences, I couldn't have hoped for a more promising interface, and indeed, approach to computer training.

However, I would like to strip the pre-installed applications down to the barebones, particularly removing games/social media clients. The Ubuntu Software Center is the only place I've found to uninstall programs, but it doesn't bring up all of them, and so far it's been fussy for those uninstalls (I've had to uninstall multiple times for each program, somehow). I am an entry-level terminal user, but when I tried to do sudo apt-get remove on some of the programs, the system couldn't identify their locations.

Ultimately, I'd really like to accomplish this; though I know I can simply hide programs within the menu, I'd like to clean house here. Is there an easier means to uninstall, or even a way to batch uninstall?

Finally: like I said, Stephen, I am incredibly impressed [this distro is a million times better than the over-shiny, useless modern Ubuntu] and I've already enthusiastically promoted it at my school.

I work in radical open source politics, and I'm seriously considering developing a small program via Free Geek [in my case, with http://www.freegeekvancouver.org] to help students transition to Linux for the first time using UberStudent. I hope this is something we can discuss one-on-one in the future-- I'm merely laying the groundwork now, though I'm going to give my immediate peers a brief tutorial next week, hopefully culminating in some dual-boot installs! I am shocked by how little visibility US has in comparison to Ubuntu, despite its clear superiority, and I hope to help spread the word as widely as possible.

Cheers, and thank you for developing such a brilliant educational tool.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:23 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Thanks so much for the comments. :)

Here's what will make your task easy:

1. Go to Applications > System > System > Synaptic Package Manager.

2. Along the left click the Origin button. Above the button you will see three entries:

plato/contrib (uberstudent.net)
plato/main (uberstudent.net)
plato/non-free (uberstudent.net)

Click on each of those and browse around. You will be able to see which packages you might wish to remove. The package names and descriptions are very self-explanatory.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:33 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

I was also wondering about the best way to uninstall unwanted apps, especially since being warned that it is best to request updates from UberStudent. I see this post was from 2014 and, the directions may be different now.

I do not see anything in the list titled "plato"

I see epicurus/main and socrates/main; are these the latest UberStudent equivalents "plato/main?" I see nothing with "non-free" or "contrib" in the title. Maybe I"m not looking in the right place... Here's a screen shot of what I'm looking at http://www.zimagez.com/zimage/screensho ... 3141pm.php

Regards,
Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:15 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Uninstalling unwanted applications is completely fine and using Synaptic is an easy way to do it. Just search for the software title and go through the self-explanatory steps.

When you uninstall pre-installed applications, the system will tell you it will also uninstall the package uberstudent-desktop-xfce. That sounds scary--in retrospect I should have given the package a different name--but it's completely fine to remove it. The package is only a metapackage, which is to say it installs nothing but programs from a list. It's just a package that makes building UberStudent easier for me.

You can also simply hide programs from your menu. Just right-click over the Applications menu and go to Properties > Edit Menu and untick to hide.

As for the naming scheme, this page explains. "Codenames" like that are a way that developers have of making sure certain packages are only available to specific releases.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!