Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:21 pm 
Established UberStudent User

I tried to use pepsi pinball but just got an empty screen 'cannot load shockwave flash' so i went to the properties and noticed the cmd opens chrome. Would i be better to change that to start firefox as i think shockwave works with that (it doesn't in chrome) and if so how do i do that? and if not what do i do? thank you

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Hi Bill,

This is related to the Flash problem you pointed out in another thread. To confirm Flash is working in Firefox, could you go to this Adobe website? If you see the red cube dancing, it means your Flash plugin is working.

Pepsi-Pinball is a flash game (.swf file) so try starting it by opening the terminal and typing:
Code:
firefox /usr/share/uberstudent-helpstore/pepsi-pinball/pepsiflipper.swf

!! The following will replace google-chrome by firefox for pepsi-pinball only and will start firefox in fullscreen with adress bar !!
If pepsi-pinball plays fine in firefox, go to Applications --> Games --> Arcade and right click on Pepsi Pinball and then left click on Properties. Delete the whole field next to "Command" and paste "firefox /usr/share/uberstudent-helpstore/pepsi-pinball/pepsiflipper.swf"

I'll search how to start Firefox like Google-Chrome does it with Apps and will let you know if I find it out.

FYI (as we have almost the same computer) I formated the whole hard drive of my Acer Aspire AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+ 1,9 GHz, 993 MB RAM and made a clean install of UberStudent 2 Lightweight Edition. It did not solve the Flash problem, it still says it could not be loaded in Firefox and in Chrome :o

David :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:13 am 

Ok story so far i have checked the flash plugin on firefox by using the adobe site and all's well. I then used a terminal to open pepsiflipper.swf with your cmd line and as you said it opened firefox in full screen with address bar however i was presented with a blank black screen (i tried several times just incase). The address bar showed the right file.BTW I am assuming it is installed by default and i dont have to download some games package? Here's hoping i'm not giving you a headache and you can help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:51 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

First, to open firefox in several modes (window mode, kiosk mode, etc) you would have to download multiple firefox extensions beginning with "autohide". But that's not what you want to do because firefox won't make the difference between opening firefox to browse the web or opening it to play a game.

Second, I think our old Acer Aspire can't handle Flash (actually it only worked with Puppy Linux Wary 5.1.3 which is a VERY old version, but it was far from running smooth even then).
Another option would be to replace Flash with Gnash (the open source variant), but it is known to be unable to launch most flash games. But you will be able to watch youtube videos. It's impossible for me to test it as I already have replaced my Acer Aspire with another PC.
To replace Flash with Gnash open the terminal and type:
Code:
sudo apt-get purge adobe-flashplugin && sudo apt-get install gnash browser-plugin-gnash

I tested the pinball game on my PC, it doesn't play well, it starts but you do not see the ball :roll:

Note that google-chrome will still use flash as it is directly integrated in chrome and firefox uses gnash now.
Sorry that I can't help you more :(

/edit

I would be interested in knowing if you had an operating system you were able to watch flash videos or play games with. By default I had Windows XP on the Acer Aspire 2400+ XP, but playing videos was such a pain. I got like 2 images every 5 seconds in 240p on youtube.
Which operating system have you had on this computer that played well with flash?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:00 pm 

No problem i can live without it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:24 pm 

mint 10 worked although it wasn't a comprehensive test and it did also crash occasionally with a pinball game

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:46 pm 

I have now followed your suggestion to install gnash and now i get no more 'shockwave flash cannot load'.The adobe site video works now for 2 or 3 secs rather than not at all. I also followed the adobe page that provides a video for testing the flash player and it works perfectly. I think gnash is the way to go for computers with this problem. Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:59 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Glad you got it working :)
Again: Gnash hits quickly its limits and lacks dynamic development. But hey, better than nothing !

David :geek:

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!