Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:56 am 
New UberStudent User

With the upgrade to Libeoffice 5 in Heraclitus, individual items in the sidebar style menu are randomly blacked out (black background with black text), making it nearly impossible to apply and customize paragraph styles. To a lesser extent, this also happens in the navigation pane when heading styles are set. A similar problem occurs with Gimp in several dialogs when I try to use a third party theme.

The only changes I've made to Libreoffice are to add the Alt Find & Replace extension from the Libreoffice extensions website, and to add the Sifr icon set from the Ubuntu Software Center.

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Does this occur with a different libreoffice icon theme? In LibreOffice, go to menu Tools > Options. On the Options dialog select on the left LibreOffice > View and then Icon style. Change the icon theme and restart LibreOffice. Does the issue still occur? If so, proceed.

Does this occur with all system themes, including the default ones in the A+ series? If the problem goes away when you switch from a third party theme, then the issue is with the theme. You'll need to make sure that whatever theme you use supports GTK3. Older themes do not. You can know that a theme supports GTK3 because you will find a folder in the theme directory named gtk-3.0, or something similar. Even then, third party themes can be buggy.

If the problem remains regardless of theme, please go to Applications menu > Software > Driver Manager and run it. Is there a display driver it recommends to you? If so, install it and let me know if the issue remains. If it does not offer a recommendation to you, please let me know whether you installed from the 4.3 disc or from an earlier one such as 4.1 that you then upgraded.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:00 am 
New UberStudent User

I updated from 4.1 via the update manager.

I'm running an hp pavilion 23-p110 which has an AMD processor and graphics card.

The default/recomended driver in 4.1 was the Xserver-Xorg driver, but the only 16:9 resolution it supported was 1920x1080 which was too high for my poor eyesight, so I installed the optional fglrx AMD driver and run at 1600x900. Since I've updated to 4.3 the driver manager fails to connect to the repository.

I have tried changing back to the default icons in Libreoffice with no effect on the blacked out text.

A Google search shows that the blacking out of various interface elements in Libreoffice is neither unique or new. But I didn't find any good solutions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:57 pm 

Please run the Update Manager and apply all available updates to ensure that the Driver Manager is working properly.

Also, did you try different system themes, as suggested? Does the issue still happen when you use a default theme in the A+ series? Like I stated before, if the issue goes away when you change themes, then the issue is the theme.

If it remains even when you change themes, try resetting your profile by exiting LibreOffice and running this in a terminal:
Code:
mv $HOME/.config/libreoffice/4 $HOME/.config/libreoffice/4.old
Then, restart LibreOffice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:48 am 
New UberStudent User

1. The system is up to date, but the Driver Manager still returns a “Failed to download repository information” message.

2. When I said “A similar problem occurs with Gimp in several dialogs when I try to use a third party theme” I was referring to an internal Gimp theme, not the system theme. I've been using the A+DarkSilver theme which, if I recall correctly, is the default theme. I did, however, try other A+ system themes with no effect to the style menu text blackout.

3. I ran the terminal script and it reset everything in Libreoffice back to default, but the style menu text blacking out continues.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:36 am 

John Marucci wrote:
1. The system is up to date, but the Driver Manager still returns a “Failed to download repository information” message.
Please go to Applications menu > System > Administration > Fixes > Software System Fixer and run the script. It should fix the issue. If not, then you've probably messed up your apt configurations by adding a PPA wrongly, or some such. You can run the following line in a terminal and upload (attach to your next post) the resulting file, apt-configs.tar.gz, that will appear on your Desktop and I will look it over.
Code:
cd $HOME/Desktop ; tar -zcvf apt-configs.tar.gz /etc/apt
It appears the issue with LibreOffice is this bug. So let's test if the fix they offer there works. Please run this line in a terminal:
Code:
echo "export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk" >> $HOME/.bash_profile
Then, log out and log back in and let me know if the LO issue still exists.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:45 am 
New UberStudent User

Mr. Ewen, thank you for your prompt replies.

1. My drivers appear to be up to date. Checking the details of the failure dialog I found the failed repository was sil.org. I'm sorry it didn't occur to me to check earlier.

2. I have indeed been using Libreoffice in maximized window mode. I ran the terminal script, and it initially seemed to work, but when I opened a document with styles set, the blacked out text reappeared. Shrinking the window has no effect on the problem.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!