Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:58 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:41 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

I am still having the following problem after doing a fresh install on a new hard drive: while navigating around in Thunar, if I go above `/home/user_name/` my computer completely crashes. The screen freezes and I can still see the windows but I can't do anything, i.e. open up a terminal, use keyboard shortcuts, nothing. Any inklings about why this could be? At the very least, I was hoping I can find a way to safe guard against this buy somehow not allowing Thunar to navigate above `/home/user_name/`. This only happens when I accidentally do that by pressing `ALT-up arrow` one too many times, be cause I know better

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:26 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

So, to be clear, Thunar crashes when you navigate to /home ? And this is happening on a freshly installed system, such that you installed UberStudent, and did basically nothing, no changes?

First, let's check permissions. Please open a terminal and run:
Code:
stat -c "%a %n" /* > $HOME/Desktop/home-permission.txt
There will then be a file on your Desktop, home-permission.txt. Open the file, and look through it. If the line for /home shows anything except 755, please run this line in a terminal:
Code:
sudo chmod 755 /home
Then, let me know if this still happens when you navigate to /home. To be clear about the above, the line in the text file you made should look like this.
Code:
755 /home
If any other number except 755 is there, run the chmod command.

If that does not solve the issue, go to Applications menu > System > Software > Driver Manager and run it. If a display driver option displays as recommended but is not installed, go ahead and install the recommended driver and let me know if the issue still happens.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:51 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Stephen Ewen wrote:
So, to be clear, Thunar crashes when you navigate to /home ? And this is happening on a freshly installed system, such that you installed UberStudent, and did basically nothing, no changes?

That's correct.

I do get:
Code:
755 /home

So that was fine.

Stephen Ewen wrote:
Second, go to Applications menu > System > Software > Driver Manager and run it. Let me know which display driver is installed, and what if any display driver it says is recommended. Alternately, just go ahead and install the recommended driver and let me know if the issue still happens.

This step tries to update the cache then says

"Failed to download repository information."
W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/pp ... 4/Packages 404 Not Found
, W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/pp ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found
, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Then Drive Manager shows a screen indicating 1 proprietary driver in use, a broaadcome wireless driver. I don't see anything about a display driver at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:07 pm 

More is below this post.
Andrew A wrote:
"Failed to download repository information."
W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/pp ... 4/Packages 404 Not Found
, W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/pp ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found
, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
[/i]
Then Drive Manager shows a screen indicating 1 proprietary driver in use, a broaadcome wireless driver. I don't see anything about a display driver at all.
Okay, so, no, this is not happening on a fresh, clean installation. ;) That may be important.

You can remove that PPA. The latest wine 1.8 is in the uberstudent.net repository.

Can you run the Driver Manager again and post a screenshot of it for me?

Also, please run this line:
Code:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log > $HOME/Desktop/Xorg.0.log
Then, paste the result into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:26 am 

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2294244

If your system has more than one user on it, please log into each user's account and run the following command:
Code:
chmod 750 $HOME

Then, see if the behavior repeats.

Also, if you do https://tunwinnaing.wordpress.com/2015/ ... ing-files/ does it help?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:38 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Stephen Ewen wrote:
Okay, so, no, this is not happening on a fresh, clean installation. ;) That may be important.

You can remove that PPA. The latest wine 1.8 is in the uberstudent.net repository.

Can you run the Driver Manager again and post a screenshot of it for me?

Also, please run this line:
Code:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log > $HOME/Desktop/Xorg.0.log
Then, paste the result into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link here.

Sorry, should have specified that it is not currently a fresh install, but the behavior has been happening since it was a fresh install.

Here are the results for Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/MieXd5XS

I also attached the screenshot of Driver Manager. The previous messages I mentioned about failing to download repo information no longer appear after removing the Wine PPAs.

Stephen Ewen wrote:
See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2294244

If your system has more than one user on it, please log into each user's account and run the following command:
Code:
chmod 750 $HOME

Then, see if the behavior repeats.

Also, if you do https://tunwinnaing.wordpress.com/2015/ ... ing-files/ does it help?

Tried all these things and it's still happening.

Attachments:
drivermanager.png
drivermanager.png [ 38.5 KiB | Viewed 5380 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:43 am 

So, based on the log you uploaded, you're re-installing UberStudent from the 4.0 or 4.1 disc, not from the 4.3 disc. I know this because the kernel and driver stack you are running is from Ubuntu 14.04, not the versions in Uberstudent 4.3 that have been backported to Ubuntu 14.04 from Ubuntu 15.04. As the Release Notes explain:
Code:
4.0 or 4.1 to 4.3 UPGRADE LIMITATIONS
  The Linux kernel will not upgrade to 4.2.0-19, nor will xorg
  and mesa upgrade to the backported Ubuntu 15.04 stack contained
  on the 4.3 ISO. Normally, you should avoid upgrading these,
  unless you have a specific reason related to hardware
  functionality. If you want the new stack, the best method is
  to install afresh from the 4.3 ISO.
I am 99% or so sure that the issue you are experiencing is related to running a buggy version of the graphics driver for your Intel 3500 "Ivy Bridge" chip, that it is not specific to just /home, and that if you will use the upgraded kernel and driver stack the issue will go away. One way to test if this is so is to download the 4.3 ISO, run it in live mode, and try to reproduce the behavior. If the issue doesn't happen, then the newer kernel and driver stack will fix the issue.

You can try just upgrading your kernel and driver stack. The kernel is easy to upgrade:
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-4.2.0-19 linux-headers-4.2.0-19-generic linux-image-4.2.0-19-generic linux-image-extra-4.2.0-19-generic linux-firmware
You can also run the upgrade manager to get the latest version of xserver-xorg-video-intel, the non-backported package. I just added it to the uberstudent.net repository from Intel. That may or may not fix the issue. It's only version to 2:2.99.911, while the backported Intel drivers that are in UberStudent 4.3 are version 3:6!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!