It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

Post subject: add to sources.list
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:31 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

I am trying to figure out why emacs is not displaying png's and was advised to add 15.10 (wily) to my sources.list in order to get necessary packages for emacs 24.5 (since there is only an older version of emacs in the current repository.) What is meant by adding wily to my sources.list? Does this mean add the wily PPA to sources.list? How can I go about making this change in order to make those packages available to me?

Here is the conversation for reference, just in case my question is not clear: http://emacs.stackexchange.com/question ... 9417_19370

Thank you,
Andrew

Post subject: Re: add to sources.list
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:02 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

A thing about Linux, as opposed to Windows or Mac, is that Linux will let you break it, if you take specific actions to do so. UberStudent mitigates that over and above normal Ubuntu, but it does not, and reasonably cannot, altogether avoid the possibility of you doing so.

If you want to break your UberStudent system probably beyond all repair, necessitating that you reinstall it, a really sure and quick way to do so is to add a "wily" repository to it. Same with anything else near the Ubuntu family of the "trusty" release.

Please see the "Generally Safe" section of the UberStudent Help Wiki entry for Adding PPAs to UberStudent. It explains.

UberStudent 4.0, 4.1, and 4.3, the current releases, are compatible with only the upstream Ubuntu release "trusty." If you want the latest release of Emacs or anything else, you need to find one backported to "trusty." Your system will otherwise descend into what Linux old-timers for good reasons call "dependency hell." Code-naming packages is how they devised to avoid that, and it works marvelously, but if you choose to ignore it, then welcome to your broken system.

Alternately, install an Ubuntu variant of "Wiley" into VirtualBox in UberStudent, and install anything coded "wiley" into it that that you want.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:43 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Thanks for the link to the Uberstudent wiki - it was very informative!

It definitely doesn't sound like it is worth descending into "dependency hell" just to get png's to display in Emacs. :twisted: Everything else is working just fine. However, it does seem like this should be a trivial fix.

I thought that installing libpng-1.6.20 following the instructions here: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... ibpng.html

which I obtained from http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... emacs.html would do the trick. I wonder if there's a way to fix this without adding a PPA, which I am now convinced is not a good idea.

Should I make a request at Packaging and Feature Requests?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:49 pm 

What specific things does Emacs 24.5 do that 24.3 does not do? What limitations are you facing by using 24.3 instead of 24.5?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:36 am 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Hi Stephen,

I am using an Emacs "distribution" called Spacemacs which is heavily customized for Vim like functionality and lots of other wonderful configurations to make Emacs much more pleasant. With 24.3 I was not able to stay up to do with Spacemacs and therefore wasn't able to use several of the packages that were important to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:57 am 

Yea, I'm afraid that's a bit too idiosyncratic for me to go through the trouble of packaging it. There is this you might find useful, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:15 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

I understand. Thanks anyways. I appreciate the :) advice

So are you suggesting that if I were to go down the route of experimenting with PPA's, this may be a better choice than Wily?

and would `sudo add-apt-repository` work in Uberstudent? I saw that there are some comments in certain sources.list files regarding which file to add ppa's to. And after doing this, would it then be available in Synaptic or the the Ubuntu Software Center.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:10 pm 

I added a link from Adding PPAs to UberStudent to this forum post.

Keep in mind that what I am trying to say at the wiki article, Adding PPAs to UberStudent, is rather nuanced, much predicated upon the idea that someone is likely to be using UberStudent to get important work done; that, for example, they don't want a broken system in the middle of a semester when they have a major paper due two days later. :? :shock: :(

But other uses of UberStudent can be every bit as legitimate. For example, if you as an UberStudent user are really interested in using a bleeding edge version of a program--the nightly build of Emacs, for example--then by all means please have a blast. I heartily encourage it. The Emacs Nightly Build PPA is there specifically for the purpose of people being able to test nightly builds of Emacs in an incredibly easy manner, and to then turn and work within the Emacs community to report back issues--a totally legitimate and noble thing that serves the public good.

At root I am trying to say to folks to not be haphazard but judicious and purposeful in how they use PPAs, to know exactly what they are getting in to when they add a PPA, whether none or potentially substantial consequences, and to be realistic in their expectations when they do add a PPA--an expectation that can sometimes include a broken system and sometimes no negative consequences at all, depending on the PPA.

I'm also saying that I myself cannot use my time to help unravel things in the case of problems caused by a PPA, just because it happened while someone was doing their experimenting while using specifically UberStudent, as if somehow the issue is something amiss in UberStudent itself and not where it actually is 99% of the time, which is in something added via a PPA. Trust me, I've been through all this before, which is why I talk about it at all today. ;)

I'm trying to get people to think beyond this: (1) Cool software. (2) Add PPA to UberStudent to get it. (3) Something went wrong. (4) Must be UberStudent's fault, so please help me fix this mess. :!: :ugeek:

Does that help?

Do you use Oracle Virtualbox? I'm a huge fan of it for experimenting. I create a virtual machine, apply all updates to it, and then export the virtual machine as an appliance. I then take actions within the virtual machine that I'd never choose to do on the installation I need to get work done, which is the one hosting my virtual machines. If things break in a virtual machine, I learn why, delete it, import the virtual machine I earlier made again, and repeat the learning process. It's a really great way to experiment and take risky actions that have only a trivial consequence but a high probability of you getting to learn new things. VirtualBox is integral to me in testing new things I later release into UberStudent, once I work any issues through. :geek:

The official Oracle Virtualbox repository is included by default in UberStudent. The fastest route to installing Oracle Virtualbox in UberStudent 4.3 is Applications menu > System > Extra System Apps > virtualbox-5.0

Yes, sudo add-apt-repository works in UberStudent just as it does in upstream Ubuntu, and in UberStudent, this shortcut works the same: add-repo (hit Alt+F2 and run leafpad $HOME/.bashrc to see why). What you add via any PPA will override lower versions of packages in the other repositories, but in cases where the same version exists in more than one repository it will pull based on pin priority. Hit Alt+F2 and run this line to see why, while taking note there of ppa.launchpad.net: leafpad /etc/apt/preferences

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:13 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Stephen Ewen wrote:
Keep in mind that what I am trying to say at the wiki article, Adding PPAs to UberStudent, is rather nuanced, much predicated upon the idea that someone is likely to be using UberStudent to get important work done; that, for example, they don't want a broken system in the middle of a semester when they have a major paper due two days later. :? :shock: :(

Yes, I understood that and really do appreciate your emphasis on stability versus novelty. I've experienced having a broken system in the middle of the semester and have no interest in repeating the experience. :oops: Plus, I'm about to start a new semester next Tuesday :P

Stephen Ewen wrote:
At root I am trying to say to folks to not be haphazard but judicious and purposeful in how they use PPAs, to know exactly what they are getting in to when they add a PPA, whether none or potentially substantial consequences, and to be realistic in their expectations when they do add a PPA--an expectation that can sometimes include a broken system and sometimes no negative consequences at all, depending on the PPA. [/qutoe]

Duly noted :mrgreen:

Stephen Ewen wrote:
I'm trying to get people to think beyond this: (1) Cool software. (2) Add PPA to UberStudent to get it. (3) Something went wrong. (4) Must be UberStudent's fault, so please help me fix this mess. :!: :ugeek:

You have much better things to spend your time on!

Stephen Ewen wrote:
Do you use Oracle Virtualbox? I'm a huge fan of it for experimenting. I create a virtual machine, apply all updates to it, and then export the virtual machine as an appliance. I then take actions within the virtual machine that I'd never choose to do on the installation I need to get work done, which is the one hosting my virtual machines. If things break in a virtual machine, I learn why, delete it, import the virtual machine I earlier made again, and repeat the learning process. It's a really great way to experiment and take risky actions that have only a trivial consequence but a high probability of you getting to learn new things. VirtualBox is integral to me in testing new things I later release into UberStudent, once I work any issues through. :geek:

I haven't used it yet. Is there a good tutorial you can recommend?

Stephen Ewen wrote:
Yes, sudo add-apt-repository works in UberStudent just as it does in upstream Ubuntu, and in UberStudent, this shortcut works the same: add-repo (hit Alt+F2 and run leafpad $HOME/.bashrc to see why). What you add via any PPA will override lower versions of packages in the other repositories, but in cases where the same version exists in more than one repository it will pull based on pin priority. Hit Alt+F2 and run this line to see why, while taking note there of ppa.launchpad.net: leafpad /etc/apt/preferences
[/quote]

My .bashrc only contains a line added by the Anaconda3 python package:

Code:
# added by Anaconda3 2.4.1 installer
export PATH="/home/truthling/anaconda3/bin:$PATH"

Can you should me what else should be in my .bashrc?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:55 am 

Since UberStudent 4.3, it will give you a .bashrc, unless you have an existing one. If you want to look at the new default one, run
Code:
geany /usr/share/uberstudent/fakeskel/.bashrc
Of course, you can just add what's there to the one you have, if you want.