Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:34 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:41 pm 
Established UberStudent User

Hi y'all,

I saw the other post about putting 4.0 over 3.0, and am looking for validation of my assumption, that isolated /home, /usr/local, and /opt partitions won't be lost when I put 4.0 over the 3.0 installation I currently have?

Cheers,

Kenward

In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be *teachers* and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have. - Lee Iacocca

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:53 am 
Established UberStudent User

Answered it myself (as I usually try to do)... backed up the home partition and ran things per usual, resizing/enlarging /home as allowed and then installed without any real hitch.

Kenwad

In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be *teachers* and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have. - Lee Iacocca

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Generally, the files in your home directory should be overwritten between versions 3.0 and 4.0, excepting the Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos folders, as well as any custom folders or files you have specifically created. Installing 4.0 but using a 3.0 home directory will result in inconsistency, and possibly some breakage, to at least your Xfce desktop configuration, Zotero, Firefox, Chromium, and LibreOffice configurations, and perhaps other programs.

If you will navigate to your home directory and press Ctrl+H on your keyboard, you will see a plethora of hidden folders with file names that begin with a period, e.g., .config (all hidden files in Linux begin with a period (.)). A variety of these hidden folders are populated whenever you make a new account. The files they are populated with can importantly differ between versions 3.0 and 4.0; thus, a variety of hidden files in your home directory can be incompatible in one degree or another between versions 3.0 and 4.0. Again, the hidden files in your home directory generally should be overwritten between version updates unless you and not the system specifically created the files.

The wisest way to go is to ensure that your workflow is never dependent upon retaining a certain installation's home directory files. I have written a tutorial, "The 'Three R's' of Backups," that explains why, as well as offers a sound and easy regimen for doing regular and redundant backups using tools that are pre-installed in UberStudent.

A smart goal is to never feel like you have to protect files on any one particular harddrive or installation. Your important files should be easily accessible to you from any computer anywhere at any time, even if one or another backup method or piece of hardware happens to fail, and no matter if the computer is Linux, Windows, or Mac, or public or private. Some of us have had to learn this the hard way (I once had to re-write a 20-page research paper in two days due to my lax backup habits). ;) It is smart to have an ongoing backup regimen in place. If you are are a student, this is really nothing short of a MUST-HAVE habit.

Assuming you have not carried out a backup regimen already, the best way to upgrade from UberStudent 3.0 to 4.0 is to backup your important files, install 4.0, and then copy over your important files to your new installation. In nearly all cases, if you will simply configure Dropbox to backup everything that is important to you, all you will need to do is install 4.0 over 3.0, start Dropbox and let its daemon run, and all your important files will be in place just as before. If your important files exceed 2GB and you don't want to pay anything to Dropbox (I do not), then the backups you should have set to regularly copy over files to an external drive will have you covered. Use copy and paste, let the files move, and you're done.

In my view, anxiety over upgrading from one version to another is ultimately just anxiety over an insufficient backup regimen. Everyone, especially students, will do well if they early on become fluent in conducting a smart regimen of regular and redundant backups. :geek:

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!