Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:54 pm 
Hi all
I am trying to install US on a VirtualBox running on a copy of Antix (why not?). I've tried both the LiveCD and the .iso approaches, and all I get is the initial screen (nice graphics btw) but no menu choices. If someone has any experience with a VBox install, I would appreciate a hand.
Alan @ elpaso tx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:41 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Did you sum check the ISO? I'm assuming if you're using antiX, you'll know how. ;)

If it turns out the ISO is bad, just download the OVAs for VBox if your intent is to use UberStudent only that way. They have guest additions already installed.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:56 am 
Thanks Stephen for your comments. I did go ahead and d/loaded the Uberstudent..ova and tried running it from a fresh VBox install. I keep getting the "WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module available for the current kernel (3.7.10-antix.3-486-smp) or it failed to load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" with a somber warning " You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed."

SO, I need the tools to recompile the kernel module... Help is appreciated
Alan
-=o=-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:13 am 

Since this is really an antiX and not an UberStudent issue, I'm marking this thread as SOLVED. antiX is essentially someone's research project...that's a great thing, but such as it is, it is really not intended for use in a production environment (the antiX developer would surely agree over a cup of coffee). In UberStudent, the official Oracle version of VirtualBox is available to install by default. If you install the package virtualbox-4.* from within UberStudent, VirtualBox just works...which is why UberStudent comes with the official Oracle repository installed by default. Thus, the below steps are not needed to use VirtualBox in UberStudent. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so by the error message you posted, this is not at all an issue with UberStudent but with the kernel antiX has apparently compiled for specifically antiX, and/or lack of needed packages to force the antiX kernel to recompile for use with VirtualBox.

I'm taking a stab at how all this is probably going down in antiX and venturing a fix without having that system or myself stepping through steps below so as to verify them in antiX, but since antiX and UberStudent are distant relatives and share a same distant grandparent, in theory all this should work.

First, in Debian testing - isn't the 3.8 kernel available in it? Use Synaptic to see if you can find it and install it and the headers for it. antiX may use apt-pinning, though, to favor its own kernels, so there may be no 3.8. But whatever is the latest kernel version available in Synaptic, install the headers for it if they are not already. Those are needed to recompile the kernel.

Second, you need to install dkms - that is the puzzle piece that enables your kernel to recompile with the vboxdrv module. Just search for dkms in Synaptic and it should show up.

Third, re-install virtual box. If you downloaded the deb file from the Oracle website, just download it again and re-install it with gdebi. Install gdebi, if you need to, it will install any needed dependencies without intervention. Or, if you installed virtualbox from the Debian testing repository, run as root

Code:
apt-get --reinstall install virtualbox virtualbox-dkms

If virtualbox-dkms was not prior installed, you may need to instead run

Code:
apt-get --reinstall install virtualbox
apt-get install virtualbox-dkms

Finally, do just what the error message says - run as root (su root) in a terminal

Code:
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

That should recompile your kernel with the vboxdrv module to make vbox work in antiX. :mrgreen:

Does that fix the issue with your system? :geek:

If not, you might consider using something like, er, UberStudent, as your main installation, and then using VirtualBox to run antiX within UberStudent, rather than vice-versa. ;) I myself have about 30 different systems installed into VirtualBox in UberStudent. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:17 pm 
Hi Steve
Turns out your suggestion on running UberStudent as a mail install, and within it Virtual Box was the best approach. I keep admiring the finer points of US, as I try to acquaint myself with the distro. I have made several DVDs already, and started spreading your gospel.
Being the head-first diver that I am, I installed the distro on a Dell Inspiron 2650 that works well when I have a monitor attached to it. The resolution may be to high for the laptop's monitor. Try as I may, I don't seem to be able to make the necessary adjustments. I am acutely aware that this is NOT so much an umberstudent issue as a Dell driver one, but a little help would be much appreciated.
Lastly, when I click on the default UmberstudentHomePage icon I get an error (I entered the wrong name) - how do I reset this menu.
Thanks a lot for your help
Alan - El Paso TX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:55 pm 

Alan, which DVD image are you trying to install? Make *sure* you are using version 3.0. Ar you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:03 pm 
Yes - I am burning v3.0 of the xfce-i386 iso. Are there differences with versions for the newer cpus? Should I be trying a different iso with the Dell Inspiron 2650? What video driver should I be testing?
Thanks again
Alan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:33 pm 

To adjust the monitor resolution, go to Applications >System > Hardware > Display and configure the best option for your monitor.

Stephen Ewen wrote:
when I click on the default UmberstudentHomePage icon I get an error (I entered the wrong name) - how do I reset this menu.

I'm not sure what you mean. There is a link, UberStudent HomePage, in the main Applications menu, but I assure you it works just fine, and that direct intervention upon it would be required to break it. UberStudent is like any other system, in that if you fiddle endlessly with settings without first knowing what you're doing, breakage is likely, and it's hard for anyone to know exactly what brought on the breakage unless you outline the steps you took that brought the breakage on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:15 am 
My comment about the broken link originated in the Welcome panel. During first entry, when the application asks you what app to use, I entered "Chrome", which I learned right away was the wrong name. That's why I was getting errors.

I am not sure how to say this, but assuming that users are muddling around instead of just coming up with problems that a master user of your caliber naturally avoids, is a bad reason to belittle our concerns and efforts. Postings are for the most part sincere efforts to understand your system, and I can clearly imagine some of them test the limits of your patience - we don't use the proper terminology, and are unable at times to deconstruct our steps in a rational tirade. But, we are also learners that need encouraging support... I hope this makes sense, because I DO want to become an UberStudent Master within the bounds of my limitations.
Cheers
Alan

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!