UberStudent Forums

Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:02 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:40 am 
OK, I got Ubuntu, called "Linux Secure 12.10" to work fine. Grub2 is good, all is perfect. For whatever reason (ignorance?) neither UberStudent nor Ubuntu 13.04 would install Grub2, and neither Grub2 was reparable from the Linux Secure when running it as a live disc. Dunno why. I would assume that if it can install itself it can fix the Grub2 of the others, but I am wrong, apparently.

I am still interested in UberStudent, so if you know how to get Grub2 (assuming that is the sticking point) to install for it, that would be great to know about.

Honestly, after all of this, I am kinda just glad to have 12.10 on here. If things dont work out now, I am sure the next incarnation of UberStudent will have this silly stuff licked. Having hope is a nice commodity.
:D

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:46 am 
No clue if this is what you are looking for, but you could always boot in the live cd of uberstudent, mount the partition that you want to have grub installed, then grub-install --root-directory=/where/ever/you/mounted/it/to. Then reboot and then sudo grub-update.

For more details continue reading.

Put in live CD uberstudent, and go into the bios and change the boot order, or simply boot onto CD (if your BIOS supports that)
Then, once everything is booted up (Username:Password/uberstudent: ) You are going to want to list all the partitions on your computer. (This is assuming you have all the operating systems installed) You can check this with a GUI (gparted, conventiently on the live CD (thanks Mr.Ewen :-) ) or through terminal. sudo fdisk -l

This is where the tricky part is. You are going to want to find the root partition (I'm assuming you are installing grub on linux). If gparted has the mount point, you are looking for the one that has "/". If you are looking through the terminal, I'm not entirely certain, but I do know, its probably ext3 or ext4, and not linux swap that you are looking for. (Try the one with the star :P boot) If you do not know, it's ok, because you can always kind of guess and check.

You are then going to want to mount the partition.
sudo mount /dev/sd[color=#40BF00]a6 /mnt[/color]
where the green is variable. If your linux root partition is sdb3, do that one instead.

What this does, is it takes the partition, and puts it on your live cd, so you can explore and see it. It should be mount on /mnt, so we can test that by typing ls /mnt

You should see a bunch of files like /opt /etc /usr etc. if you do, that's the right one. If not, then unmount it and try a different one

You unmount by doing sudo umount /mnt

It's important to precise it's umount, not unmount.

Once it's mounted, type in this command.
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/dev/sd[color=#00BF00]a[/color]

This essentially tells you to install grub, at the location of /mnt/dev/sda or sdb.
You are going to want to change sda or sdb to which ever your linux parition is on. You do not do sdb1 or sda3, just sdb or sda.

You are then going to want to do a restart. When booting up, (make sure you are booting up on a hard drive and not the CD) you should see a grub screen. If you do not, then try changing the hard drive, assuming you have 2, to the second hard drive, where you could have installed grub. (BIOS --> boot options --> make HD2 higher)

You should be able to see grub once all this is done. When you do, choose the recovery mode instead of the regular operating system, and when you see a blue screen with a grey box, choose the "update-grub" menu, let it do it's magic, and reboot again and you should be good to go :-)

I hope this is what you were looking for :P If some of this doesn't make sense, or need help, or more information, feel free to ask! :-D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:03 pm 
Sorry, it won't allow me to edit.

You are then going to want to mount the partition.
sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt

Once it's mounted, type in this command.
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/dev/sda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:56 pm 
This is all Great!

I really do appreciate the help.
I am getting into finals now, so I have decided to wait until after the quarter to mess with my installs anymore. I will definitely jump back on here when I get going on the process and let y'all know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:57 am 
New UberStudent User

Just as FYIs:

1. Windows 8 laptops are not allowed to distribute OS disks for their computers. To get 8 back on the computer one must either buy it at retail or send the machine to the manufacturer to get it back to the original.

2. I am the person formerly known as billyrex and guest.

For some reason the bulletin board purged itself of me.
When I tried to create a new login from my Ubuntu partition, the board would not allow it, saying that I was a known spammer. Could this be because I use the Tor network and google, facebook, and MSN keep thinking I am someone else trying to hack my accounts?
Annoying, at any rate. :twisted:

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!