It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:12 am

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

Post subject: Hi from New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:54 pm 
New UberStudent User

I am a relative newbie in Linux, but have spent many hours looking at many varieties and spins.
I like to think of myself as a consumer of Linux rather than a tech like most of the other members of Palmerston North Plug
When our Plug came to its end of year meeting I was "volunteered" to represent our group at our public library demonstrating the comparative ease by which XP. computers reaching the end of their support cycle could be converted to Linux.
Having run Uberstudent 64x. in virtual on a laptop for some months I thought dropping an 32x. ISO on my Pentium 4 low spec machine would be a doddle.Pride comes before a fall.
As I ran the install and I got to the end I kept getting this message: Executing 'grub-install/dev/sda' tried an alternative non pae OS same mo. After much Goggling I discovered that long winded bash was the only answer as I had broken the grub when I wiped the drive. Visited an old friend in the hope of some first hand assistance. Friend sounded vague (Probably hoping I would find someone else)
Decided this morning to reinstall XP and install Uber on another machine.Oh Joy trolling through the fantastic software collection, I spotted the boot repair tool, which worked like a charm. Don't know how I missed said tool in the first place. Next time I will read ALL the documentation
Now my Pentium is singing like a canary and I'm a happy boy.
As a student of life I love Uberstudent's comprehensive study system. Under books it would be nice to see a link to Librivox but easy enough to install Amarok[b][/b]

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!