It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:07 pm

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post subject: Hello All!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:56 pm 
New UberStudent User

Hi there,

Just thought i'd come and introduce myself. My name is Scott and I'm currently studying a Bachelor of Theology at the Melbourne School of Theology.

I have just started using UberStudent (literally installed inside of Virtualbox an hour or two ago), however have been dabbling in Linux for most of my 29 years. More recently in Ubuntu, have some experience in Bash Scripting, a fair amount of experience in Internet Security, and consider myself a power user.

First impressions of US are great, however IMO there is but one thing missing. That is Compiz. I realize that Compiz does not come with XFCE, however one thing that has become vital to my workflow is Expo + Desktop Wall. Any plans to implement it at all? It is one of the first things I will be installing myself to improve workflow.

One of the things that I love about these features is the dragging of windows between workspaces. Plus the fact that you can visually see what is open in which workspace is fantastic. Saves a stack of time, particularly when writing essays, as I will often have the essay in one workspace, a browser/email in another, essay notes in another and Zotero for references in another. Being able to hit Super+S to spread, plus Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Direction to move windows about is a real timesaver for me.

Anyway, enough of a rant for me, well done on a fantastic looking distro that I am really looking forward to exploring a bit more.

Scott.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:42 pm 
UberStudent Staff

Scott C wrote:
I realize that Compiz does not come with XFCE, however one thing that has become vital to my workflow is Expo + Desktop Wall. Any plans to implement it at all? It is one of the first things I will be installing myself to improve workflow. One of the things that I love about these features is the dragging of windows between workspaces. Plus the fact that you can visually see what is open in which workspace is fantastic. Saves a stack of time, particularly when writing essays, as I will often have the essay in one workspace, a browser/email in another, essay notes in another and Zotero for references in another. Being able to hit Super+S to spread, plus Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Direction to move windows about is a real timesaver for me.

Many people around the globe have older hardware, so as an educational distribution one of UberStudent's auxiliary goals is to be able to run on older hardware. As such, UberStudent (3.0) uses the lightweight Compton compositor instead of the more feature-ladden and resource-hungry Compiz, which some describe as bloated.

With Compton you can drag windows between workspaces. Ctrl+Alt+Direction moves between workspaces.

UberStudent (3.0) uses the XFCE desktop, and Compiz can be installed in XFCE. Another of UberStudent's users installed Compiz; his post describing such is here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:34 pm 
New UberStudent User

Damion Lunin wrote:
Many people around the globe have older hardware, so as an educational distribution one of UberStudent's auxiliary goals is to be able to run on older hardware. As such, UberStudent (3.0) uses the lightweight Compton compositor instead of the more feature-ladden and resource-hungry Compiz, which some describe as bloated.

I can see your reasoning, and i guess I keep forgetting that my 6yo laptop was top-of-the-range once (T6400 2.0Ghz, 4GB, Cuda G105M 512MB) and is still is probably better than what some of the students at uni are using! I realise that some see Compiz as bloated, Unity certainly is, i would agree! Without Unity though, it is much faster. Also, coming from 12.04.2 it's good to see that the bugs with nouveau are fixed. nvidia-current is part of the bloat.. Nevertheless, It is probably a rationale I agree with when I think about it.

Damion Lunin wrote:
With Compton you can drag windows between workspaces. Ctrl+Alt+Direction moves between workspaces.

Yeah, for me though nothing beats desktop wall, which you can visually see whats open where at a glance. Also scale, which again is a visual representation, and a quick switch. It's only flaw (and i believe it's a driver flaw) is that neither handle touchpad multi-touch, nor gestures.

Damion Lunin wrote:
UberStudent (3.0) uses the XFCE desktop, and Compiz can be installed in XFCE. Another of UberStudent's users installed Compiz; his post describing such is here.

Thanks for that! As of US3, you must do a little more to get it to work, but I'll post on that one, rather than boring you with details.

Also, after a couple of days of use, I must say I'm really liking it. I've started showing it off around college too. Well done on a brilliant distro, and keep up the good work!

Scott.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:02 pm 
UberStudent Staff

Scott C wrote:
Damion Lunin wrote:

Thanks for that! As of US3, you must do a little more to get it to work, but I'll post on that one, rather than boring you with details.

As you already saw by David's post, you are not the only UberStudent user who is interested in more feature-ladden compositors like Compiz and KWin; details of your successful installation will not bore us. I plan on leaving Compton on all but one of my machines; on my laptop I plan to install the KWin compositor in order to show such to my professors and fellow students.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:18 am 
New UberStudent User

Damion Lunin wrote:
As you already saw by David's post, you are not the only UberStudent user who is interested in more feature-ladden compositors like Compiz and KWin; details of your successful installation will not bore us. I plan on leaving Compton on all but one of my machines; on my laptop I plan to install the KWin compositor in order to show such to my professors and fellow students.

No worries. Kwin does look promising. As Compiz seems to have given me a rather nasty bug that doesn't allow me to suspend (the screen will not wake after sleep!), I will look into it, and perhaps even update the wiki, as that guy in the video has an incredibly cumbersome way of installing it all ;)

I use Digikam for my 100,000+ photo collection anyway, so adding half of the KDE runtime is a given. Compiz might be handy for those who don't want to add too many extra packages. But it is subjective, I guess.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!