It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:16 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post subject: JB "Jonathan" Horen
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:20 am 
New UberStudent User

Shalom!

I'm "forcibly retired" (read: unemployed), holding on for dear life in the run-up to early Social Security benefits (eight months, and counting). In what feel like several past-lives, I spent 23 years as a Unix/Linux systems administrator, 12 years as a technical writer, and several years as an electronic technician. I've been a Unix user since 1984. I spent 25 years in Israel, where I learned to use and administer computers and the software that runs on them.

I've been using Linux since 1996, beginning with RedHat/4.0 and continuing through RHEL/5.6 and Linux Mint 11 (which I run on my 12-year-old, home-built desktop workstation, and netbook computers). Although not a college graduate, I spent six years working at Tel-Aviv University's computation center, and one year running the Mac-centric computer system for a local private school.

I only today learned about the UberStudent distribution, and plan to install it on a virtual machine; later, if it proves interesting, on a partition of its own. My personal interest in UberStudent is as a "practical advocate" for alternative operating systems -- especially those that make effective use of "leaner, less-robust" hardware (my desktop workstation boasts dual 1.4GHz Pentium-III processors -- low-end, by any of today's standards).

I've used the XFCE desktop environment, but that was in its infancy; I'm much more familiar (and comfortable) with Gnome 2 (which is why I have not updated from Linux Mint 11).

We shall see, eh?

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
 Post subject: Re: JB "Jonathan" Horen
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:32 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Hi Jonathan. I lived in Palm Beach County, near your way, for most of my life. ;)

If you're comfortable with GNOME 2, you'll feel comfortable with Xfce. Promise. :geek:

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:36 am 
New UberStudent User

It was an easy, albeit lengthy, installation into a VMware virtual machine (VMplayer-3.1.6); "lengthy" being less due to size, and more (most/completely) due to the host's 1.4GHz Pentium-III processors. Even with 1GB of RAM assigned to the UberStudent VM, it is "virtually" unusable. I suspect that would also be the case, were I to install UberStudent on its own partition and run it as the host (main) operating system.

Although not so, historically, for the longest time computer hardware development has been driven by the needs of "gamers". One might prefer to blame Microsoft's Windows operating system and its Office suite for that upward (downward?) spiral, but Microsoft is only hitching a ride; it's games and gamers.

My needs are much more mundane: using the Web, email correspondence, "to-do" lists, and Solitaire (along with a few others). In short, I won't be upgrading either my computer's hardware or its operating system in the forseeable future... if ever.

UberStudent does look good -- I think it would be impressive, if users began with it in middle school (so that, by the time they entered post-secondary education, they'd be better students and better "studiers"). Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:21 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

To lighten the load when using only 1 GB memory, just disable compositing from the Look and Feel menu.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!