UberStudent Forums

Help and Community for Users of Uberstudent
Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:57 pm

All times are UTC




UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: New Release
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:07 pm 
Offline
UberStudent Forum Helper

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm
Posts: 54
Location: University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
Hello,
I asked this on twitter previously and received *no* answer. Since Raring is going to become history in January, what will happen to Plato users then? Will there be a new release that we can roll to(I mean without performing a clean install)? I see that the command
Code:
sudo do-release-upgade

does not upgrade the core to Saucy, thus unless a new version is to be released we are stuck with Raring :(
Sincerely,

_________________
Berker Peköz
PhD Student in Electrical Engineering
University of South Florida at Tampa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Release
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:10 am 
Offline
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:54 am
Posts: 954
Location: UberStudent Headquarters
I check tweets daily or very nearly daily. I see no tweet containing the word "uberstudent" asking this question. I do see numerous tweets in Turkish, though, so if you tweeted that way I wouldn't have really gotten the message, although I have used Google translate on a few to get the gist. ;) Posting here is always the best way to get my attention very quickly. Help links in UberStudent go here for good reason. :geek:

Look for an update at the end of the year.

I strongly urge against do-release-upgade. It's never worked well and will always be problematic. This is the same advice distros like Mint give, and for good reason. Ubuntu itself warns of upgrading with the method. No one really spends time to make sure the method works.

It's best and most stable to (1) keep important files altogether off the operating system drive; and (2) use the function in Synaptic, "Generate package download script," to re-install any packages you want to add quickly right away to a newly installed system; and (3) install the new system.

_________________
UberStudent Must Become Self-Sustaining. If UberStudent and my dedicated support of it has benefited you, it's important to make a donation. Thanks!

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Release
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:46 am 
Offline
UberStudent Forum Helper

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm
Posts: 54
Location: University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
Stephen Ewen wrote:
I check tweets daily or very nearly daily. I see no tweet containing the word "uberstudent" asking this question. I do see numerous tweets in Turkish, though, so if you tweeted that way I wouldn't have really gotten the message, although I have used Google translate on a few to get the gist. ;) Posting here is always the best way to get my attention very quickly. Help links in UberStudent go here for good reason. :geek:

Look for an update at the end of the year.

I strongly urge against do-release-upgade. It's never worked well and will always be problematic. This is the same advice distros like Mint give, and for good reason. Ubuntu itself warns of upgrading with the method. No one really spends time to make sure the method works.

It's best and most stable to (1) keep important files altogether off the operating system drive; and (2) use the function in Synaptic, "Generate package download script," to re-install any packages you want to add quickly right away to a newly installed system; and (3) install the new system.

Well this was my tweet :)
So we will not roll on to the new release, we have to make a clean install, correct? I have lots of proprietary packages installed on /usr/local/ (Matlab, Mathematica etc.) and any way to simply roll on to the new release would be great :roll:
Thanks Mr. Ewen

_________________
Berker Peköz
PhD Student in Electrical Engineering
University of South Florida at Tampa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Release
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:31 am 
Offline
UberStudent Forum Helper

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm
Posts: 54
Location: University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
Just out of curiosity, I have a / drive for the system and /home drive to keep my files, although for the reason provided above I might think of adding a /usr drive. When installing a new operating system that uses Ubiquity I have the option to format the / drive, which would delete all data, and if not some data from the older system keeps hanging around in the drive.
Which one would you prefer when you are in need to install a new distribution?
P.S: The year has ended but we still do not have a new lovely edition of UberStudent :<

_________________
Berker Peköz
PhD Student in Electrical Engineering
University of South Florida at Tampa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Partitions & Drives
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:39 am 
Offline
UberStudent Staff
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm
Posts: 109
Berker Pekoz wrote:
I have a / drive for the system and /home drive to keep my files, although for the reason provided above I might think of adding a /usr drive.

Learning how to have /home and /usr (or a subdirectory such as /usr/local) dwell on separate partitions or physical drives than the / directory makes it easier to upgrade a distribution without having to migrate or lose files in those directories, which is exactly why most long-term Linux users eventually learn to do it.

_________________
Cybermancy.net - Creativity via code


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Release
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:21 am 
Offline
UberStudent Forum Helper

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm
Posts: 54
Location: University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
I'm sorry my question wasn't clear, do you "format" your / drive when reinstalling a distro from scratch or is proceeding without formatting fine?

_________________
Berker Peköz
PhD Student in Electrical Engineering
University of South Florida at Tampa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Release
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:31 pm 
Offline
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:54 am
Posts: 954
Location: UberStudent Headquarters
Update will have to wait a few weeks. I slipped hard on the ice several days ago and busted my nose open.

_________________
UberStudent Must Become Self-Sustaining. If UberStudent and my dedicated support of it has benefited you, it's important to make a donation. Thanks!

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Partitions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:31 am 
Offline
UberStudent Staff
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm
Posts: 109
Berker Pekoz wrote:
...do you "format" your / drive when reinstalling a distro from scratch or is proceeding without formatting fine?

If your older release runs on top of an older filesystem [such as EXT3] and a newer release needs a newer filesystem [such as EXT4] for various features, the new release would encounter problems if trying to run on top of the older filesystem. Completely deleting the old / partition gives the newer release the chance to implement such things as a newer filesystem.

_________________
Cybermancy.net - Creativity via code


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slippage
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:37 am 
Offline
UberStudent Staff
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm
Posts: 109
Stephen Ewen wrote:
I slipped hard on the ice several days ago and busted my nose open.

Damn; save your coccyx and you sacrifice your nose. ...Don't catch a cold!

_________________
Cybermancy.net - Creativity via code


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Release
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:26 am 
Offline
UberStudent Forum Helper

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm
Posts: 54
Location: University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
Stephen Ewen wrote:
Update will have to wait a few weeks. I slipped hard on the ice several days ago and busted my nose open.

I'm Sorry to hear that Mr. Ewen, get well soon:<

_________________
Berker Peköz
PhD Student in Electrical Engineering
University of South Florida at Tampa


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs


Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!



All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group