Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:10 am

All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post subject: Drupal
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:03 am 
New UberStudent User

I am trying to download, install and use Drupal, but am having a very difficult time. I have tried to go by the instructions for using the terminal, but it is not working. I have downloaded and installed several things to do with Drupal and MySQL in the process, but nothing is working. Now it seems that I have unusable files I can't use, nor do I know where they are, I still need a CMS, but can't seem to get there, and my ignorance of command line functions is coming to a rotten fruitician once again... very frustrating. I know I need to master, or at least learn a little about the Terminal, but besides that, can anyone lead me in the right direction. Thanks.

Get an UberCool UberStudent Shirt!

UberStudent Logo Shirt
UberStudent Logo Shirt by uberstudent
See other Uberstudent T-Shirts
 Post subject: Re: Drupal
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:57 pm 
UberStudent Staff

R Triboulet wrote:
I am trying to download, install and use Drupal, but am having a very difficult time. I know I need to master, or at least learn a little about the Terminal, but besides that, can anyone lead me in the right direction.

As Drupal is PHP code, running Drupal on your computer requires that PHP and webserver software (such as Apache) are installed on your computer. Under Applications > System > Software > Synaptic Package Manager, if you do a search for drupal you will find the drupal7 package; installing that will also automatically install apache2, mysql-server, and php5.

(Note that Drupal has a bit of a reputation for having a steep learning curve even after successful installation; fortunately Drupal also has a sizable community surrounding it, so the Drupal Support page and Drupal Forums will probably be your best sources for assistance with using Drupal.)

Post subject: Re: Drupal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:22 pm 
New UberStudent User

With installing Drupal through you will get an older version of Drupal somewhere in your system. You will also get troubles with the files/directories modes. The simplest way to avoid such troubles - at least for me - to use mod_userdir module provided by Apache. You will have a "public_html" directory in your home directory, where you can put your Drupal directory.

Doing so, install Apache, PHP and MySQL, phpMyAdmin is also useful to create and manage your database. Type into your terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 mysql-server phpmyadmin

To activate mod_userdir:

Code:
sudo a2enmod userdir
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload

You might have to change that file:
Code:
sudo geany /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/userdir.conf

It should look like:

Code:
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
        UserDir /home/*/public_html
        UserDir disabled root
</IfModule>

Then create the directory "public_html" in your home directory. Download and unzip the current Drupal version into that directory.

Now you have to create your Drupal database. Don't use your MySQL root, create a new user at first. Open phpMyAdmin with that link:

http://localhost/phpmyadmin

Login, go to users and create a new one. And check also to create an new database for that user. It will be your Drupal database. Then, your link to install Drupal should be something like that:

http://localhost/~username/drupal/install.php

Following the instructions, you will get through the installation script..

This is just a rough description as I am remebering now.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!