All times are UTC

UberStudent Logo Shirt
Hey! You can wear this UberCool UberStudent Logo Shirt

Post subject: Re: More science?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:41 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

As stated in the About section,

Quote:
UberStudent is developed by a professional educator who specializes in academic success strategies, post-secondary literacy instruction, and educational technology. It has been designed around a core academic skills approach to student success—the research and writing, reading, studying, and self-management skills that are essential to all students regardless of their academic major. UberStudent can additionally be extended for specific academic disciplines using its on-board tools for discovering and installing disciplinary software.

Packing UberStudent with science programs would more be for a Science Edition of UberStudent, an idea I like. 8-) But I am not a scientist by training so making program selections for that is literally outside of my expertise. So, would you like to help make it by selecting programs? :?: I can make a meta-package for it.

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:57 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

A meta-package would be really nice, Mr Ewen.

Personally, there is some software I use quite often:
Chemtool - Draw chemical structures and export them
ImageJ - Very powerful image analyzing program. Even if not easy to use the first time.
Kalzium - Periodic table of elements with a LOT of extra information (but >100MB)
RasMol - Display and analyze molecular structures (reads files from the protein data bank and other formats)

Can we collect some software ideas in this topic? I will make and update a list of incoming suggestions and export them to a .pdf file if you would like me to do that.

Happy researching everyone ;)
David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:38 am 

Yes, all scientists, let's come up with an excellent list for a meta-package. Post your ideas! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:40 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Eksit wrote:
Great idea! If you plan on doing this you should include the LaTeX editor, its an editor with lots of uses, but mostly used in mathematics and science for entering formula's in the computer, making mathematic documents. It's great!

Hi Eksit,

never heard about LaTeX editor so I downloaded it and took it for a spin.
All I can find in the menu is LaTeXila. Is that the program you were talking about? And is there a way to display what I'm writing like in LibreOffice? Because I can only see:
Code:
\documentclass[a4paper,11pt]{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage[francais]{babel}

\title{}
\author{David}

\begin{document}

\maketitle
\tableofcontents

\begin{abstract}
\end{abstract}

\section{}

\end{document}

:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:53 pm 

Eksit, which package in the repository are you referring to by "LaTeX editor"? Or are you referring to the Windows program of that name, which also goes by LEd?

At any rate, LyX and Gummi are installed by default in UberStudent. Have you tried them?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:40 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Eksit wrote:
I just took a look at gummi

I just had a look at that too. It is a bit easier to use than the LaTeXila because you have a live preview of what you are typing. Nice that it is pre-installed :)

I had also a look at Celestia (ipse lute mentionned it) and I'm a bit disappointed. It doesn't give much information about planets, stars and other galaxies. But as I am not a astrophysician I'm maybe not qualified to judge :ugeek: ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:57 am 
I'm an archaeologist and have been playing around a bit with Grass and GNU PSPP. The first is a GIS (geographic information system) application and the second is a statistics package very much like the way, way overpriced IBM SPSS. I can't imagine a science themed distribution that didn't include these since there are so many disciplines that make use of GIS and statistics packages.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:04 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

PyMol, also veeeery important for biochemistry :O You can create animations of molecules with it.

Then maybe "R". I was told it is a powerful statistics program (but I will never ever touch something which has something to do with... maths :shock: )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:06 am 
New UberStudent User

YES please,

I just registered only because of this Thread. I'm studying Psychology and most of my ressources are online ... either I spend my day reading publications or reading eBooks but since I discovered UberStudent these tasks have become much more pleasent.

What I would suggest is a pre-installed emacs with org-mode, it takes some time to learn how to use it but once you get it it becomes a very handy tool

Other than that I'd agree with David to implement R aswell or something like SPSS (I don't know if there is an free analogue to it in linux) which might be more user-friendly for people who are not so familiar with statistics.

I've been playing around with membrain-nn lately, it's a neural network editor & simulator , I doubt that it would make sense to implement a similiar tool in a common UberStudent Edition but I wanted to mention it in case you plan on a more scientific / CogSci Edition :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:53 am 
Berk Celikag wrote:
Other than that I'd agree with David to implement R aswell or something like SPSS (I don't know if there is an free analogue to it in linux) which might be more user-friendly for people who are not so familiar with statistics.

I've been using GNU PSPP which is very much like SPSS in many ways. So far, I've made fairly heavy use of descriptives and crosstabs, and I've done some recoding of variables. Many things are reminiscent of SPSS, so if you're familiar with that, GNU PSPP is fairly intuitive to navigate. A lot of the bells and whistles appear missing that you might be familiar with in SPSS. Copying individual tables and graphs from the output seems to be among the more annoying (at least I haven't figured out how yet) but I've been able to do a pretty descent screenshot that I cropped and the tables and graphs are fairly easy to replicate once you have the output when you're doing some simpler things.

I've yet to try any sort of regression (OLS, linear, etc.). All in all, I really like GNU PSPP. Especially when you consider the many hundreds of dollars IBM now wants for SPSS. It's ridiculous.

if you install via apt (sudo apt-get install pspp) you'll find it under Applications ->Education ->Subjects ->Math and Science if you're using Mate. Not sure where it might go under other desktop environments, but it's probably somewhere similar.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!