It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:17 am

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

Post subject: Re: More science?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:40 am 
New UberStudent User

Thanks for the advice cfeagans, I will give it a try :) I've been playing around with R lately but SPSS (and I'm sure PSPP aswell) is a nice alternative especially when I want to quickly check something or have the comfort of a well organized GUI.
Btw: Yeah, SPSS sure is overpriced ! I can get the student-version so it only costs ne 20-25€/year but still, I see no reason in paying for SPSS if I have alternatives like R which might take longer to get used to but in my experience are more powerful. I heard about PSPP as a good alternative to SPSS but in the last Seminars I attended, they asked us to present all our results with SPSS so I bought it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:52 am 
Not to be snobby but an engineering app for linux is FreeCAD. Would be nice for those looking for a future of engineering. This program was recommended to me by an engineer serving as a mentor on my FRC team. Just a suggestion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:27 pm 
Do you plan on making one huge metapackage? Or a meta package on different subjects, that you could include, and if we liked it, we could just download it. It would be nice (like the wine and teamviewer) to put a script to download various packages dealing with different subjects, or something we could download from the uberstudent webpage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:57 pm 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

I do plan a meta package.

I am packaging right now and plan to do a science pack last...because it's hardest. ;)

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:19 pm 
JaxoDraw is a Java program for drawing Feynman
As far as I know, there is only a Fedora compatible package. It would be great if you could include it. Let me think what else. Maybe Octave...Or something like a mathematica replacement...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:18 am 
UberStudent Founder and Lead Developer

Juan Francisco Gonzalez wrote:
JaxoDraw is a Java program for drawing Feynman
As far as I know, there is only a Fedora compatible package. It would be great if you could include it.

I've looked over the JaxoDraw documentation. It may be rather trivial to package, something I could do in a couple of hours and release in to the repository right away, available for the current UberStudent 3.0.

Maybe you can help me determine that. :)

I'm noting from the documentation that during compiling of JaxoDraw, one must set flags for an external postscript viewer. That could be an issue, because I don't know how the compiler set the flag.

If I have to compile the program, that of course makes things considerably more involved.

Have you tried running JaxoDraw from the compiled binaries? If so, how in Linux does the compiled binary handle the Postscript preview? Knowing that will help let me know if I have to compile it or not.

The java requirements of JaxoDraw are also unclear. Its documentation states that it requires sun-java (which is obsolete!), but that very well may be just because the site has not been updated.

If you have used JaxoDraw recently in Linux, what java did you use--which java did you have installed and set as default--that it used fully?

Overall, have you tried running the available java binary in UberStudent 3.0. How did it go? Any errors? Any features missing?

JaxoDraw is definitely a program I'd like to make available in UberStudent. :geek:

The UberStudent Headquarters:
    * Mobo: MSI 870-G45
    * Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz
    * RAM: G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600
    * Graphics: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    * Drive: OCZ Vertex SSD
    * Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower
    * Monitors: 2 x Dell UltraSharp
    * With UberStudent 4.3 Development Build
You should build your own computers, too!

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!