Return to UberStudent Home Page
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:33 am

All times are UTC

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:07 am 
New UberStudent User

I am asking for folks to point me to schools that are using Linux and Android ....... in the classroom. !!!

My daughters school (primary ages 5-13) are about to invest in 350 Tablets for the students to use. I have been harrassing the headmaster and the IT dept to go down the Android path.
But they have decided to go the more expensive route of Win8 tablets ............... because the school has been using XP for 10 yrs and all the education software is obviously Win.....
This will be twice as expensive in the hardware stakes and all my arguments about all the savings by going linux are shot down because of the RETRAINING and it is something new..... very very scary !!!, that would need to be done and the fact that they couldn't use all the old education software on there servers.

Can anyone help me find schools that have migrated to linux and android

i need as much info as i can get and quick, the purchasing decision is to be finalised on June 1, 2013

thanks,
Darren

ps. Any suggestions on where else to post this question would be appreciated to...... thanks ........... i am off to ubuntuforums now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:18 pm 
I don't think this is what you're looking for... but this may help a little

http://www.experientia.com/blog/researc ... lassrooms/

I don't remember where, but I do remember reading that some experts were saying that iPads were going to dominate the market for another 2 years, before android was going to, and others said iPad were going to continue dominating the market for a while!

If you want a 'Windows vs Android tablet side', I can try and give you that
If you want a 'Apps you can use on Windows that you can also use on Android', I can try and give you that

What's really awesome about the Android tablets is that you can install 'arm' files. If, for example, Uberstudent decides to make an arm version (which may not be that bad of an idea), you could be able to install it on your tablet, or on a phone! You could make a personalized tablet!

Apps are far more numerous with Android then they are with Windows (Windows is simply a few years late, and not as many developers have been developing for Windows). You have a better chance in finding what you need with android.

If you know of any of the software they want to use on that windows tablet, I can try to find an alternative for Android :-)

Best of luck! And Let me know if you need anything more! :-D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:00 pm 
UberStudent Forum Helper

Hi Darren,

I do not have any precise information but have a look at this wikipedia article. I know that Linux is used in Munich, Germany and a lot in France. My university for example uses Ubuntu since many years. I don't know about schools that are using tablets, sorry.

Here is another webiste that could be interesting. http://linux.org.au/education

Good luck :-)
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:19 pm 
UberStudent Staff

Darren,

Did that IT department never encounter the issue of a document from the Microsoft Word wordprocessor being incompatible with the Microsoft Works wordprocessor (or vice versa), or even sometimes with simply a different version of Microsoft Word? That incompatibility was what caused me to stop using Microsoft wordprocessors.

That school's IT department is operating under the dangerous assumption that software that works with WindowsXP will also work with a Windows8 tablet. I worked with a company that tried to migrate from WinXP to Windows7, and even though they managed to get their old database interface to nominally run on Win7, it was so absurdly and confoundingly slow as to be unusable; none of the numerous tricks for getting WinXP software to run on Win7 made any improvement whatsoever. Micro$oft's official solution was: buy new Win7-compatible database software. Incompatibility of older Windows software with newer versions of Windows is an issue that numerous corporations face, and it is why many such corporations are stuck using older hardware and software. If a similar incompatibility issue occurred for the school, their current WinXP software would not be any advantage at all.

Mark also makes a good point: the app market for Android tablets and devices is much more established and robust than what is available for Windows tablets, so the chance of finding an app is much greater for an Android tablet than for a Windows tablet.

I do have to say though that I am not happy with how locked-down the typical tablet is (Android, Win8, or otherwise). When the OS on my wife's tablet stopped booting-up, she had to ship it back to Verizon. Had it been a laptop (or a less locked-down tablet), I could have reinstalled the OS myself. (Me hacking the tablet to resurrect it would have occurred on a less convenient time-table for my wife than shipping it.) I would personally never spend money on a tablet that was too locked-down to easily install my choice of OS. Furthermore.. Have you ever tried to type a ten-page essay on a touchscreen? Two words: monstrously inefficient. As such, I would not buy tablets for students; I would buy them laptops.

Darren Moore wrote:
...they have decided to go the more expensive route of Win8 tablets ...because the school has been using XP for 10 yrs and all the education software is obviously Win.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:16 pm 
Damion Lunin wrote:
Darren,

Have you ever tried to type a ten-page essay on a touchscreen? Two words: monstrously inefficient. As such, I would not buy tablets for students; I would buy them laptops.

What's nice about tablets, is they have a keyboard extension

http://tinyurl.com/cyg8z4s

Any of those could work out easily to type out a ten page paper. The keyboard even adds additional battery power. I don't know how convienent it is to carry both tablets and their keyboards, but if they work together, it would work just as easily as a laptop at a smaller cost

Post subject: Re: Lockdown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:03 pm 
UberStudent Staff

Mark Marks wrote:
What's nice about tablets, is they have a keyboard extension... I don't know how convienent it is to carry both tablets and their keyboards, but if they work together, it would work just as easily as a laptop at a smaller cost

Tablet + keyboard = cheaper but locked-down laptop

It's that locked-down part that bothers me. The locked-down property could be considered educationally valuable, but only if you explicitly want rooting tablets to be part of your computer science curriculum. Failed attempts at rooting which lead to bricked devices could get expensive though. Ultimately what you want is a device that the school's top IT administrator has full access to; a tablet is not such a device.

Click Here to Get Inexpensive UberStudent Discs

Click here to get UberStudent discs delivered to your mailbox
Delivered Directly to Your Mailbox!